Did clean install of Win XP, now I can't access Microsoft.com

I bought my son a used Toshiba Tecra S1 - with a 20 gig hard drive - laptop for his birthday - it ran great - then he downloaded things from the internet and then it ran not so great. So I gave him my 300gig Freeagent external hard drive and did a clean install of Windows XP using his license # - I reformatted the 20 gig hard drive when I did this - I went to Toshiba.com and down loaded all the drivers for his laptop and it has everything it should - I even made the wireless work like it was suppose to and everything - I also did the Windows Authorization - I called it in - put in the extremely long code they gave back to me - It said it was fully authorized and a legit copy of Windows XP.

Running: Windows XP SP1 - IE 6 - Firefox 3.5

Now here is the problem: I can not access any Windows.com or Microsoft.com from that laptop at all - I can not do any updates or anything that would require me going on the Microsoft.com website (I can't even update IE) - I can use a standard address: 65.55.12.249 to get to the main Microsoft.com website but that is as far as it will let me go - it will not allow me to actually navigate away from the page using the links it tells me that the server can't be found. There is no virus on this computer. I have looked online for what the problem could be and a fix for it but I'm only finding things related to having a virus. I also cannot turn on Automatic Updates.

Saw this same problem, turned out to be the 'Background intelligent transfer service' was turned off. Once it was set to 'auto' all was well.

Back