Digital Covid-19 vaccine cards and test results are now supported natively on Android

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Google is allowing Android users to store and display Covid-19 vaccine cards and test information on its passes system, used for non-payment cards, starting with select providers in the United States. The company writes that developers from healthcare organizations, government agencies and organizations authorized by public health authorities to distribute Covid vaccines and tests will have access to Google Pay's Passes API to create a digital version of the documents.

The digital Covid-19 vaccination card shows the recipient's name and date of birth, which vaccine they received, and the date of both doses. You can save the information on more than one device, and you don't need the Google Pay app to access the feature, which requires a device with Android 5 or later and be Play Protect certified.

Google writes that users can find their vaccine or test information by visiting their healthcare providers' website or app, or via a text or email. If they support the feature, a Save to Phone option should be present for saving it to Google Pay—even if you don't have the app. Google recommends adding a shortcut to your home screen to access the Covid card faster.

Google assures users that it will not store their data in the cloud, share it with third parties, or use it to target ads, but it will collect some information, including how many times they use the card and on which days.

As noted by The Verge, some states, such as New York and California, have their own version of the digital vaccine card, as do many countries—the UK's version is accessed through an NHS app. But Google could make the whole process easier for health authorities and the public.

Image credit: Studio Romantic

Permalink to story.

eforce

Except it is.... cause even if you are vaccinated, you’re only 90-95% protected.... but if EVERYONE is vaccinated, you’re almost 100% protected...

So I’d like to know that everyone who’s seeing a movie in my theatre is vaccinated before I go see Fast 9...
Suck on that!

Not so safe from blood clots though...

Danny101

I'm not doing the 'Your papers please! ' routine.

People seriously don't realize the precedent that they're setting and allowing. Especially, since this crap was all intentional. It's a runaway train straight into an Orwellian society.

"Thank-you! May I have another!"
Fools!!!

I'm going to grasp on to any shred of freedom I have left til my hands run cold. Maybe, at least extend it a little longer for the next generation. Sadly, me thinks the next generation is mentally signed, sealed, and delivered into the next slave state. McCarthy was right back then. And now we're seeing the fruits of communist labors.

Angga B

NATIVELY on Android? Isn't it really exciting to learn that big tech not only supporting but goes as far as actively promoting this kind of..... monitoring?

And it goes far flung beyond country borders too. A global passport! How niffty!

Squid Surprise

I'm not doing the 'Your papers please! ' routine.

People seriously don't realize the precedent that they're setting and allowing. Especially, since this crap was all intentional. It's a runaway train straight into an Orwellian society.

"Thank-you! May I have another!"
Fools!!!

I'm going to grasp on to any shred of freedom I have left til my hands run cold. Maybe, at least extend it a little longer for the next generation. Sadly, me thinks the next generation is mentally signed, sealed, and delivered into the next slave state. McCarthy was right back then. And now we're seeing the fruits of communist labors.
There's plenty of precedent for this already... most schools already require students to prove that they've been vaccinated from measles, mumps, polio, etc... you provide those "papers" when you enroll your child... Why shouldn't Covid be added to the list?

bandit8623

There's plenty of precedent for this already... most schools already require students to prove that they've been vaccinated from measles, mumps, polio, etc... you provide those "papers" when you enroll your child... Why shouldn't Covid be added to the list?
Emergency use only...number one reason.

bandit8623

So you don't define a global pandemic as an emergency?
Emergency use only doesn't mean force on people. It means if you are compromised you may be better off taking the vaccine. You do u I'll do me. I just had my wedding and hugged over 150 people 2 weeks ago and no masks. And Guess what all are fine.

Squid Surprise

Emergency use only doesn't mean force on people. It means if you are compromised you may be better off taking the vaccine. You do u I'll do me. I just had my wedding and hugged over 150 people 2 weeks ago and no masks. And Guess what all are fine.
lol... except "You do u I'll do me" doesn't work with vaccines!!!

Vaccines only work if the majority of people get them... so let's hope people like you are in the minority and the majority of people get their shots so that Covid can be a thing of the past.. like Polio, Smallpox, etc....

bandit8623

lol... except "You do u I'll do me" doesn't work with vaccines!!!

Vaccines only work if the majority of people get them... so let's hope people like you are in the minority and the majority of people get their shots so that Covid can be a thing of the past.. like Polio, Smallpox, etc....
Covid is the biggest scam we have seen in our lifetime. Small biz suffer as Large cooperate grows. Why would I get a vaccine for something I've already survived with basically no symptoms. My sister in law got boils on her Left side of her body. I know others that have other symptoms. No thx I'll take my fever for a few days if I so happen to get it again.

Btw comparing this to those other disease is hilarious..

Squid Surprise

Covid is the biggest scam we have seen in our lifetime. Small biz suffer as Large cooperate grows. Why would I get a vaccine for something I've already survived with basically no symptoms. My sister in law got boils on her Left side of her body. I know others that have other symptoms. No thx I'll take my fever for a few days if I so happen to get it again.

Btw comparing this to those other disease is hilarious..
It's not a scam though.... you've just decided it is... fortunately, the rest of the world understands it's quite serious... I've had 2 family members die from Covid, so I can assure you it's no scam.

And honestly, why wouldn't you want to be vaccinated from as many diseases as possible? Diseases SUCK... I assume you don't bother taking a flu shot either...

bandit8623

It's not a scam though.... you've just decided it is... fortunately, the rest of the world understands it's quite serious... I've had 2 family members die from Covid, so I can assure you it's no scam.

And honestly, why wouldn't you want to be vaccinated from as many diseases as possible? Diseases SUCK... I assume you don't bother taking a flu shot either...
Sorry you lost family.

You are correct why would I get a flu shot? I don't get the flu. Had the flu bad when I was 10 haven't had it since and I'm 36. And I am around people all the time. If I get the flu I'll deal with it. The flu shot is another big pharma money maker. And btw I'm not anti vax. I think you shoutget vaccines for the big ones. The flu and covid are not on my big ones list. Example small pox 30% die who get it. Covid isn't even close to that. And again this comes down to choice. You get the vaccine if it makes you feel better. If the vaccine is not good enough to protect you then stay home. You take a chance every day leaving your house . You may not come home. It's not my responsibility to inject myself so you feel safe. Just like you put your own seatbelt on. If I don't put mine on is not your worry. And even having a seatbelt on doesn't guarantee you won't die in a car accident.

Maybe my entire family is super immune to covid. But my father in law was the only person I know that got very sick and was in the ICU. But he also snatched pneumonia.

Squid Surprise

Sorry you lost family.

You are correct why would I get a flu shot? I don't get the flu. Had the flu bad when I was 10 haven't had it since and I'm 36. And I am around people all the time. If I get the flu I'll deal with it. The flu shot is another big pharma money maker. And btw I'm not anti vax. I think you shoutget vaccines for the big ones. The flu and covid are not on my big ones list. Example small pox 30% die who get it. Covid isn't even close to that. And again this comes down to choice. You get the vaccine if it makes you feel better. If the vaccine is not good enough to protect you then stay home. You take a chance every day leaving your house . You may not come home. It's not my responsibility to inject myself so you feel safe. Just like you put your own seatbelt on. If I don't put mine on is not your worry. And even having a seatbelt on doesn't guarantee you won't die in a car accident.

Maybe my entire family is super immune to covid. But my father in law was the only person I know that got very sick and was in the ICU. But he also snatched pneumonia.
So apparently you don't care about others... hopefully you are in the minority... but even if you don't catch covid or the flu - you can still be a carrier and give them to others.... and THEY might die... but I guess, since it isn't you, that's ok...

yeeeeman

So apparently you don't care about others... hopefully you are in the minority... but even if you don't catch covid or the flu - you can still be a carrier and give them to others.... and THEY might die... but I guess, since it isn't you, that's ok...
how exactly are you sure about the fact that this vaccine means caring about others? Give me hard proof, not opinions on web, commercial, nice plots made by big pharma. thanks!

I understand you had cases in your family and I udnerstand covid is a real virus that can kill you if you have commorbities, but again, what is the proof regarding the validity of the vaccine?

Squid Surprise

how exactly are you sure about the fact that this vaccine means caring about others? Give me hard proof, not opinions on web, commercial, nice plots made by big pharma. thanks!

I understand you had cases in your family and I udnerstand covid is a real virus that can kill you if you have commorbities, but again, what is the proof regarding the validity of the vaccine?
It’s simple math... a vaccine is never 100% effective... the Covid vaccines are highly effective - far higher than the vaccines for many others - but still only give 90-95% immunity...

That means that if there are one million people who vaccinate - and each is surrounded by those who don’t vaccinate - 50,000-100,000 of them will still contract Covid.

However... if these same million get vaccinated - and everyone around them ALSO got vaccinated - so that they were only surrounded by vaccinated people, then virtually none of them will contract Covid.

It works the same for all of the other diseases we get vaccinated from. When a bunch of anti-vaxxers decide not to get vaccinated, they put everyone else at risk.

This is why schools insist on all children getting vaccinated - to keep everyone safe!

bandit8623

It’s simple math... a vaccine is never 100% effective... the Covid vaccines are highly effective - far higher than the vaccines for many others - but still only give 90-95% immunity...

That means that if there are one million people who vaccinate - and each is surrounded by those who don’t vaccinate - 50,000-100,000 of them will still contract Covid.

However... if these same million get vaccinated - and everyone around them ALSO got vaccinated - so that they were only surrounded by vaccinated people, then virtually none of them will contract Covid.

It works the same for all of the other diseases we get vaccinated from. When a bunch of anti-vaxxers decide not to get vaccinated, they put everyone else at risk.

This is why schools insist on all children getting vaccinated - to keep everyone safe!
Build up your own immune system by eating healthier. You are Not my responsibility. Should we ban people from getting fat too? It's proven that obese people have much less chance of surviving covid. The more sick fat people are the more chance to spread it to others. Using your logic

Squid Surprise

Build up your own immune system by eating healthier. You are Not my responsibility. Should we ban people from getting fat too? It's proven that obese people have much less chance of surviving covid. The more sick fat people are the more chance to spread it to others. Using your logic
So if someone has a compromised immune system, we should just say “the hell with them”... like everyone over 70?
Again, hopefully you’re in the minority....

bandit8623

So if someone has a compromised immune system, we should just say “the hell with them”... like everyone over 70?
Again, hopefully you’re in the minority....
What are you talking about?I'm not forcing compromised immune people to go into crowds. Not forcing them to go out to eat.. not forcing them to not Wear a mask. All choices

Squid Surprise

What are you talking about?I'm not forcing compromised immune people to go into crowds. Not forcing them to go out to eat.. not forcing them to not Wear a mask. All choices
So you think they should be forced to stay at home... wow... you bring selfishness to a whole new level....