Dimension B110 upgrade to Pentium 4 help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a Dimension B110 and a Dimension 4300. I'm trying to take the dimension 4300 cpu and put it in the B110. Everything i've read says i should be able to do it. It's a p4 1.6ghz., 400hz, 478pin, ect. It supports all the technical stuff i think. Whenever i plug the power cable into the back the computer boots up on its own and the screen is just black. It says it's in a power save mode. The tower is in some power save mode too i think (an orange light on the front lights up). I've updated my bios to A01 and a lot of my drivers. Anyone know what's up? Thanks. and there are no beeps when it turns on.

Tell us more about cpu's, power supplies, and hard drive installs.
You may be having the Windows detection trouble that sometimes happens when a Dell WXP install detects a hardware change... though I usually get a standard message. Did you move the hard drive with WXP already installed?

Thanks for the help. Everything should work. It's all original equipment that came with them when i bought them. All i did was take the pentium 4 from the 4300 and put it into the B110 motherboard. I might try and get a different p4 and put that in there seeings how there pretty cheap. Maybe like a 3.0 or something. Hell yeah.

There is no direct transfer. The timings and settings are different, and Dell will not tell you... The 4300 motherboard and B110 motherboard are really quite different.
Working up a match between the board and a change in the CPU is actually one of the more difficult tasks... can be done when you have the help of Asus, MSI, or Gigabyte tech support, but Dell doesn't want to add that can of worms to their tech support problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back