DirecTV becomes first cable television provider to offer 4K content

Shawn Knight

Staff member

directv samsung cable satellite ultra hd 4k ultra hd tv

4K video technology took a big step forward on Friday as DirecTV became the first multi-channel television provider to pipe 4K content into the living room. Starting today, users will be able to watch nearly 20 on-demand movies from both Paramount Pictures and Havoc according to a press release on the matter.

Flicks available in 4K include several major movies as well as multiple nature documentaries. The complete list is as follows:

• Forrest Gump
  • Star Trek (2009)
  • Amistad
  • The Terminal
  • McLintock!
  • Transformers: Age of Extinction
  • The Last Reef
  • Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs
  • Antarctica
  • Dolphins
  • Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag
  • Dinosaurs Alive!
  • Coral Reef Adventure
  • Space Junk
  • Yellowstone
  • Legends of Flight 
  • Rescue
  • The Ultimate Wave Tahiti
  • Mysteries of the Great Lakes

The move does come with an asterisks attached, however, as the on-demand content is only available for owners of Samsung’s 2014 model year 4K sets. According to the company’s support website, these are the only televisions that are DirecTV 4K ready with built-in RVU technology. Furthermore, DirecTV subscribers will need the company’s Genie HD DVR (model HR34 or better) to get the 4K content.

Pricing for the 4K on-demand media ranges from $3.99 to $15.99 per title. DirecTV said more titles will be announced soon.

This limited rollout of movies is likely a beta test for the company as they are planning to launch a handful of live 4K channels next year. Comcast is also said to be working on its own 4K service for 2015.

Permalink to story.

Wow, like one on every milion has this exact set up in its living room making this thing 0.000001% useful.

If this type of service is available in my country (Philippines), one movie and I'm already beyond my 10gb data cap. ;)

I guess there has to be a start somewhere, no matter how miniscule it is.
If this type of service is available in my country (Philippines), one movie and I'm already beyond my 10gb data cap. ;)
Similar to working all year for a day or two off.

Wow, like one on every milion has this exact set up in its living room making this thing 0.000001% useful.

it's probably exactly what they want so they can see how it works, and if something goes wrong it'll only upset far fewer customers. I'd bet there will be a strain on server and/or other tech to get this to work. It's best to start small.

DirecTV is satellite (ironic to call them cable, isn't it?) not internet, but this problem will show up with Netflix and the other new streaming services like CBS and HBO.

Hmmmm, interesting that this is finally becoming a thing. I wondered when we would actually start seeing some content or boxes with compatibility for 4K in the T.V. world because its been along time coming. I am only curious though if this really will be the next big thing like 1080p because with all the 5K and 8K hype from T.V. makers like LG its just one of those big questions of when will we settle for a bit. I am unsure how much T.V.'s really will benefit beyond 4K because of our own eye limitations on top of size because at this point I feel its only going to be really great in a very huge T.V. for at least some things.

I bought a new TV last week and did a lot of research into the 4K TVs that were on offer. And I came to the conclusion that we're just not there yet. Some TVs don't have the correct drivers to allow 4K streaming from Netflix, some TVs have massive blurring during high speed action in 4K. There was just no one TV that offered the perfect solution, without still costing thousands of euro. So I bought a standard 1080p.

It's sad that the TV manufacturers are now talking about 5K and 8K when they haven't yet got 4K working.

I work for Dish Network. I have installed at a customers house that was getting his Dish services moved and also getting AT&T Uverse TV. They had some stream/download service that did 4k resolution content. I do not understand how they have had it and yet DirecTV gets the bill for the 'first' to get it. Mind you, the content that my customer showed was mostly nature type shows. Not any narrative shows like on Animal Planet, just Nature scenes mostly, from what I could tell. Anywho, do not expect to get any native content from 3Ghz lines from a Cable Service Provider anytime soon. Using yet more internet based services to get your full Cable content, how thoughtful (talking about Dish too, Hopper has a lot of features that require the internet.)

@TrueBooleanFals DirecTV is the first Satellite company, also when compared with cable companies, to use a 4K resolution for any content ran through the box. They aren't getting the bill for being the first company to release anything like that. Hell, you could find adult entertainment online that is 4K resolution. They simply are being recognized as the first TV service provider to do so.

4K just the start off. I waiting though until SUHDTV gets to the point were you have to get it. Right now 1080i/1080p is were I am sticking with. If your just leavling HDTV at 720p and is in need for a new HDTV either go with 1080i/1080p @ 60Hz or dig in deeper and get 4K @ 30Hz where 8K @ 60Hz but that's not for consumers yet only some commercial services have SUHDTV.

Well I have such a TV and the Genie.

And I do NOT see any 4k content being offered here in SC. :(

All devices have lasted firmware installed as well.

It would be more exciting if providers would accept that HD is the new standard and stop charging extra for HD packages.

Back