DirectX 10 for Windows XP removal, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey everyone,
i recently bought FarCry 2 and really wanted to play it, unfortunately when i installed it and ran the game it would crash before opening. this also started happening to Bioshock a while back.
i have tried many different things to get the games working, but i remembered that Bioshock stopped working about the same time as when i installed DirectX10 for XP.
something that i now realize is the source of all my problems. unfortunately DX cannot be downgraded (as far as i know) but i'm not too sure. i have herd about ways to uninstall DX10.
all i want is to get rid of DX10 and get DX9 back so i can play my games again.

After thought: there are some programs out there that apparently get rid of DirectX but i was worried about the health of my system.

any help would be greatly appreciated. i dont want to jump into anything without asking for help first.

... and does the modified version of DX10 cause problems like DirkKnight is experiencing? Why would anyone running XP need DX10?

i wanted DX10 to run games like Crysis, Crysis WarHead, and FarCry 2 on very high graphical settings. but i have had problems with the modified version of DX10.
i really need to get rid of it.

I don't know what your complete system specs are, but with a hi-end HD DX9 capable video card and a good fast CPU you should have been ok under XP, SP3

i have a Galaxy GeForce 8800GT 256MB and the CPU is an AMD 64 x2 Duo 5200+.
so i can run high end applications fine on DX9 but i just wanted to push the performance higher.
i have resolved the issue with a system restore, dating all the way back to october when i installed the DirectX10 application.
thanks for all your help anyway.

direct x 10 removal for xp

Hi, Dirknight to remove direct x 10 from your xp computer, go to start menu, then click onto control panel. Find the add or remove software ,click onto it allowing programs to come into view. Then look for direct x 10 click onto it and then click remove. It will ask you if you want to remove the software. Click yes and remove.

Hope this help you

Faye B

Faye B
Could not find any reference to any DX 9 or 10 in the Add/Remove on my machine, and I know for a fact that I have 9 installed.

Probably a good idea not to mess with the DirectX 10 for Windows XP hack because a lot of people are reporting the same problems that DirkKnight was. I'll probably stick with DirectX 9.0c until Windows 7 is released.

That's a very good idea teklord :)

Thanks, I figured I would avoid the Vista hassle a lot of people are mentioning. My comp is too slow for Vista anyways, so I'm going straight to Windows 7 with my new build. Look forward to DirectX 11, if people like Windows 7 then I am sure developers will be churning out a lot of DX 11 games.

Yes teklord,
Windows 7 Ultimate, RC is running great right now. i haven't installed it on lesser computers yet though. I have a hunch that it will run much better than Vista ever did. I'm running both Vista Home Premium SP2, 64-bit and Windows 7 Ultimate RC 64-bit... On a multicore 64 bit CPU, 4GB ram and good video card system, Windows 7 will fly. The Windows 7 shutdown and startup times will amaze you too

Awesome news Tmagic650. Looks like Microsoft learned from Vista's mistakes and made a user friendly version of Windows at last. Can't wait to shell out $200 bucks for it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back