Disable Universal Plug and Play Service in XP???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgower2

I've just found several websites devoted to the diableing of the universal plug and play service that is on by default in Windows XP. Anyone have an opinion on this?

I have the service you speak of disabled on my machine without any problems.

You should also disable the ssdp discovery service, as this too is a security risk.

Regards Howard :)

Howard, is there an easy way for me to list what processes are running at the "start up" so you could tell me what is safe to stop?

:eek: Bipolar

You can click on start then run, and type msconfig into the run box.

Click on the startup tab for a list of programmes etc, that start when you start your computer. You can also click on the sevices tab, and check the box that says hide all Microsoft services. This wiil show you what else is running on your machine.

If you actually want to alter any of the microsoft services, then this can be done by right clicking my computer, and selecting manage, then the services icon near the bottom of the list.

Please be aware that disabling certain services can make your computer crash.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040210040010/www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Above you will find a link to which services you can safely disable, and which you can`t.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

you were right there Howard.. my system crashed, twice...loli tried using the internet gateway settings and the "safe" settings. My pc didn't like either. No big deal though, i don't want you to think i am mad or anything ok.. i have dump my pc so many times in the last 3 weeks that i am starting to enjoy it...lol 3 times in one day...yesterday or the day before...hmmm can't remember for sure, just know i did it.. boy the wife is ticked about it to...lol

Hope everyone else has better luck, i am going to stick to the changes i do thru msconfig.

:eek: Bipolar

P.S. and i plan on it again, soon as i can get this partitioning thing right :knock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back