Disk boot failure

valerieleger

Hi Everyone,
I have searched this forum for a few days now and read anything I could on my problem but I am still stumped.
Here is my problem.
I get the message when I boot the computer: "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
My Computer Information:
HP Pavilion 061
Windows XP Pro Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
DRIVE IS IDE

Here's what I tried so far:
I checked to make sure all plugs were inserted correctly and firmly.
I changed the boot sequence so it goes HDD, CD/DVD, then REMOVABLE... but it didn't seem to solve anything.
I did a chkdsk and it said everything was fine.
I scanned for viruses and none was found.
I did a system Recovery with the Recovery Tools CD.
I've also been having problems with my cd/dvd, I have to open and close it a few times for it to finally read the content. This problem has been happening for about 6 months though.
Right now it's a 50/50 chance of whether it will boot or not. Sometimes it boots fine, other times it will only boot from the Recovery Tools CD to load Windows.
Once in Windows my computer works great.

If I missed anything I apologize.

XP is up to service pack 3 and beyond... Update it ASAP! Disconnect the problem CD/DVD drive's data cable and see if the computer boots normally. Any problem drive connected to the IDE bus can cause a good C drive not to boot

Hi Tmagic650,
I just finished updating to service pack 3
I will continue in the morning for the rest as I have to go for the evening. Thanks for your suggestions! :)

Hi again, Tmagic650

I just rebooted after installing the Service Pack 3 and a black window popped up C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe then another one popped up and a few of these lines appeared "error: the parameter is incorrect"
I'm assuming this is a an error because of the Service Pack 3 and that it can be fixed by going to Microsoft. But I thought I would mention it in case it's not.

I also wanted to mention that booting takes a long time when it does boot, and my loading screen looks different than it used to before I had done a recovery.

I also noticed that after the recovery, all my old files can be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents

I thought I had formatted it and that it would clean everything and give me a clean install. What does this mean and is this normal?

You should try a clean install of Windows, by deleting the present install that you see, and then formatting in a quick NTFS mode. Then you can proceed with the new clean install

Can you explain the steps? Because I thought that's what I had done but apparently not. I had put in the Recovery Tools CD and followed the steps on the recovery.
Do I have more than one partition, is this why it did that?

What options do you have starting a recovery? Is one a Destructive recovery? If so, that's what you need to do

Ok Thanks. I don't remember the exact way it was called. I thought it was one that would reinstall the way I had it when I bought the pc. I will look for the destructive one in the morning and work on doing that and hopefully that will fix the DISK BOOT FAILURE problem for good. I've already made a backup of my files yesterday.
Thanks again Tmagic650 :)

I just finished reformatting the hard drive. What I had done wrong the last time was not clicking on the Advanced option where the destructive recovery was hidden.
Now let's hope I don't have the DISK BOOT FAILURE message again. If so I will have to bring it to the technician since I assume it will mean a hardware problem that I can't fix by myself.
Thanks for your lead, Tmagic650
:)

Good going valerieleger,
if you get past a format without errors, your odds are good that the hard drive is okay...

I had the DISK BOOT FAILURE message again! I felt like screaming, lol.
It seems to boot fine only when the DVD-CD Rom works so I am assuming I have to have that drive replaced. Hopefully it will be fine afterwards.

Okay I guess that replacing the hard drive is the thing to do now. Good luck, at least you have your important stuff backed up :)

The tech confirmed that it was my Hard Drive. I brought the computer back home because they charge almost as much as the Hard Drive itself just to install it. So this weekend I am going to buy a new Hard Drive and install it myself. And yes, I have my important stuff backed up. Phewwf!!

What do you mean 'using the old drive'?
I had used the restore cd to format and re-install Windows, will that cd work for the new empty hard drive?

I am about to leave in a couple of hours to go buy a new hard drive, does it matter the size I get? It's a HP Pavilion a143On
I have looked online and can't find the system information.

I just installed a new hard drive. When I power up the computer it gives me the BOOT DISK FAILURE again....
I've also replaced the original SATA cable, and checked my BIOS to see that the HDD is in fact being recognized.
what now?? :(

"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" was the message I kept having with the old Hard Drive, though. Doesn't it mean there is a problem?

Back