Disk Management in Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachkinny

HI ,

I have 500 GB of disk space with OS Windows 7 Ultimate.

C: 40 GB.
D:210 GB.
E:250 GB.

I want to re-partition my disk .want to increase space in C drive with out un-installing windows 7 or any other software.

Please help me how i can do this ?

Thanks in advance,
kinny

First of all, just as precaution make a backup of your essential data.

You can use Partition Wizard (a freeware) partition software to manipulate your harddisk partitions with data on them; once you download and install it you simply need adjust sizes by dragging dividers of the selected hdd partitions to resize them and apply the changes. The URL to download is:

http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

This will work but, be warned it will take a heck of a long time. Although you can set up a batch job to do all this in one pass, I would recommend doing it in separate steps for safety. First you need to shorten the last partition, then move the last partition up to the end of the drive.

Then shorten and move the second partition in the same way. Finally you enlarge the first (C: ) partition to take up the free space. It can be much quicker if you already have backups (as recommended, naturally), to verify the copies, then delete partitions 2 and 3. Enlarge 1 as desired, then replace partitions 2 and 3 - shortened as required.

If you image the partitions, rather than just back up the data on them, make sure your image software is fully capable of restoring to a smaller partition (although all I am aware of can do so).

Thanks a lot Archen and Gbhall .I did that, finally working .:)

I Observed My hard disk spece is showing only 455 GB. Where as my actual HDD is 500 GB .

I not able to find where my 45GB gone :).

Pls help how i can locate and enable for using :

now C dive space is :165GB
D:150GB
E:150GB
system :100MB

Your missing 45Gb is actually used for system data, file allocation etc. its still included in the harddrives capacity but you don;t have access to it. For every conventional hard drive approximately 7 to 9% of its stated capacity is reserved for this purpose (known as Formatted disc overhead)

You are welcomed and your question has been answered by DBZ very appropriately .... so stop worrying about the invisible capacity and have fun.

Well, there's more to it:
wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte
"Consumer confusion

Since the early 2000s most of consumer hard drive capacities are grouped in certain size classes measured in gigabytes. The exact capacity of a given drive is usually some number above or below the class designation. Although most manufacturers of hard disk drives and flash-memory disk devices define 1 gigabyte as 1000000000bytes, the computer operating systems used by most users usually calculate size in gigabytes by dividing the total capacity in bytes by 1073741824, but report the result with the symbol GB. This practice can be a cause of confusion, as a hard disk with a manufacturer-rated capacity of 400 gigabytes may be reported by the operating system as only 372 GB."

You are right Hughva ,

i given some approximate numbers on my first post . i obseved this only when i'm doing my disk partitioning .

but missing 45 GB? , system is using 45 gb for files structure ? not quite convencing very bing wastage right .

That was the point of my post.
500,000,000,000/1073741824 = 465.66
(You're only "missing" 35 GB, not 45 GB)
In fact, of course, you got exactly what you paid for.
It's a ridiculous situation, much like "Large", "Jumbo", and "Extra large";just marketing hype which only serves to confuse.

The best way to be sure is to give us the name of your HDD an google it to see how much space it has.
As others have pointed out, manufactures say that the HDD has XXX MB, but in really it has less than that.

Here's the definition of Gigabyte from Seagate's site:
Gigabyte
For drive storage capacity, 1 gigabyte = 1,000,000,000 bytes (or one billion bytes).
Since All computers calculate in Binary, a GB = 2^30 = 1073741824.
These drives should be labeled in powers of 2 (Drive capacity = 2^ 30 x 500), but that's too complicated, so we end up with the present situation.
This Wiki entry should clear things up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix#Consumer_confusion
All is well.

Most manufacturer's take 1 mb = 1000 kb instead of 1024 kb like in the olden days; hence the problem compounds as we go to higher capacities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back