Disney almost bought Twitter in 2017

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Through the looking glass: The failed deal will go down in history as one of many that could have redirected the course of history had it materialized. What would Twitter look like today under Disney’s ownership? Would it be a happier, friendlier, more inviting place or would it still resemble the cesspool that it is today?

Disney CEO Bob Iger in his recently released memoir reveals that Disney almost purchased Twitter in 2017 but axed the deal at the 11th hour.

As highlighted in a recent piece by The New York Times, Iger thought buying Twitter could help Disney modernize its distribution. “I like looking at my Twitter newsfeed because I want to follow 15, 20 different subjects,” Iger said. “Then you turn and look at your notifications and you’re immediately saying, why am I doing this?”

Iger said platforms like Twitter have the ability to do a lot of good in the world but added that they “also have an ability to do a lot of bad.” Between the branding issues, the nastiness and the overall impact of technology on society, Iger decided that it was more than he wanted to take on.

At the last minute, the executive called a “stunned” Jack Dorsey (Twitter’s CEO) to tell him that the deal was off. Terms of the deal were not shared by The Times.

Iger’s memoire, The Ride of a Lifetime: Lessons Learned from 15 Years as CEO of the Walt Disney Company, is available now.

Masthead credit: Twitter by Ink Drop

Permalink to story.

I'm surprised, after watching Iger obliterate the value of the star wars brand and manage to lose hundreds of millions on solo, and watch him deflate interest in marvel post vengers endgame, AND spend 4 billion to bruild a single video game ride and a bunch of cheap stores (otherwise known as glaxy's edge) that he would make the obvious decision of not buying a constant money pit of a company like twitter.

I would have figured he would have gone all in, and paid a couple extra billion on top just for the hell of it.

On the up side, if they had bought it Trump could have been one of the seven dwarfs for his avatar ... doopie comes to mind .....

On the up side, if they had bought it Trump could have been one of the seven dwarfs for his avatar ... doopie comes to mind .....
It's funny how many people go, frothing at the mouth, wanting to make fun of Trump; especially in stories that have nothing to do with him, and make themselves look like fools in the process.

Doopie is the name of a streamer that draws NSFW art, numerous other streamers/youtube/deviantart accounts, and is typically the definition of something cute or adorable. Dopey is the name of one of the 7 dwarfs in Disney's Snow white.

Last edited:
Back