Disney confirms Marvel, Star Wars movies will be shown exclusively on its service

midian182

Staff member

Last month, Disney announced plans to launch its own video streaming site in 2019. While the entertainment giant confirmed Disney and Pixar movies would be shown exclusively on the app, there was a chance that future Marvel and Star Wars titles could stay on Netflix. But now, company CEO Bob Iger has confirmed that the franchises will appear exclusively on Disney's service.

"I have described a very rich, treasure trove of content for this app," Iger said at a media conference in Los Angeles yesterday. "We're going to launch big, and we're going to launch hot."

While the loss of Disney and Pixar movies is unlikely to come as a huge blow for most subscribers - at least to those without kids – the Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm productions are a big draw for Netflix.

The news means movies such as Star Wars Episode IX, Avengers 4, and Captain Marvel will all be shown exclusively on Disney's as yet unnamed app. It will also have four to five original Disney series, as well as three to four exclusive Disney movies.

The biggest question for Netflix fans is where does this leave Marvel series such as The Defenders, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones. A Netflix rep said it would continue to do business with the company on many fronts, which includes the ongoing deal with Marvel TV, but there’s no guarantee Disney won’t eventually make the shows exclusive to its own app.

In 2018, Disney is also planning to release an ESPN streaming service. It will feature around “10,000 live regional, national, and international games and events a year.”

Permalink to story.

"A Hulk-sized blow for Netflix?"

No, a Hulk-sized boost for unauthorized downloads, for which Di$ney will get NO cut.

I have not seen a single comment on any site where a person indicates they are going to purchase this new streaming service, nor anyone saying they will drop Netflix because of this.

"I have described a very rich, treasure trove of content for this app," Iger said at a media conference in Los Angeles yesterday. "We're going to launch big, and we're going to launch hot."
And we expect people to pay hotter for our content because WE ARE DISNEY AFTER ALL! Who wouldn't want to pay HOT for DISNEY Content! /sarcasm

How about a Hulk-sized boom for Redbox (and other sources of choice)!

Headlines for the end of 2019: Disney Shutting Down Failed Streaming Service.

Chairman Bob Iger announced that Disney is shutting down its streaming service due to lack of subscribers. Quoting Iger: "We way overestimated demand for our service and did not get the number of subscribers we thought we would. I certainly do not understand why that would be since everyone loves Disney. We will, however, be renewing our deal with Netflix to license our content to them exclusively starting again in 2020."

Literally no interest in a Disney's streaming service. I like the Marvel shows and all, but not enough to give Disney money to watch them, especially after a **** move like this. As for Star Wars, the newer ones aren't good enough to bother seeing more than once and we usually go to the theater for that and the old ones I have on both VHS (Yeah, I'm old) and DVD. SO screw Disney.

I guess I'm the unpopular opinion here lol! Since I am actually looking forward to this. I do understand the frustration of everyone else that is currently using another streaming service.

However, IF Disney does what I hope, and that being that they will put up all their content I will be happy with that. So I could watch any episode of Ferb (or any other Disney show or Movie) I want and not worry about it being removed or not worrying about having all the episodes because of legal garbage.

It will be interesting to see what happens. We watch a lot of Disney stuff at home so we will probably be trying it when it comes out.

Well, I will vote with my pocketbook and refuse to see any of their new releases, wait until they show up on the national feeds ... seeing one less super-hero isn't going to put a dent in my happy cloud!

I think I am going to get back into pirating...got the perfect AM3 chipset based honeypot machine for it I can reload my custom AM3 Windows image onto in no time if needed....been streaming with perfect feeds for sports/TV going on 5 years (any station, any game, any time), saved myself about $2500 in TV bills since.

Ill be sticking with Netflix, I don't watch a lot anyway so there is more than enough for me, If it's not on there I won't watch it but I certainly don't want more than one streaming service.

Have fun losing money Disney. I will not pay for any other services. Anything I can't get on Netflix or Amazon will be watched on my Firestick, or purchased if I actually enjoy it enough.

Marvell and Starwars universe films are kind of running out of steam anyway. They're worth an occasional blu ray, but not a streaming sub.

Marvell and Starwars universe films are kind of running out of steam anyway. They're worth an occasional blu ray, but not a streaming sub.
That last Stars fiasco, which every fanboy on the web seemed to think was Academy Award worthy, was actually a depressing piece of sh!t. (IMO, obviously).

Fantasy is supposed to at least have some moral lesson, and some uplifting content in its ending. Naive and hyper-critical though I may be, I didn't find everyone of the principals dying in the end, to be at all, 'uplifting'.

Er, all I have to say relevant to Disney's subscription model is, 'long live Redbox'!

Back