Disney has three new Star Wars movies planned to follow The Rise of Skywalker

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Looking ahead: If you thought the Star Wars saga was going to end in a nice and tidy trilogy of trilogies, think again. Disney announced on Tuesday that it had slated three more Star Wars films to come after The Rise of Skywalker on December 20.

According to the press release, this year's Star Wars film brings “the original Skywalker Saga to its conclusion.”

So the new films could potentially be spin-off films in the vein of Solo and Rogue One. Disney has no other information on the movies other than they will release every other year on the weekend before Christmas starting in 2022.

In the in-between years, Disney has four new Avatar films on the slate that will debut every other year on the pre-Christmas weekend starting in 2021. James Cameron’s 2009 mega-hit should be wrung dry by 2027.

That leaves Christmas of 2020, but don’t expect The Mouse to neglect that slot — it has two titles planned.

The recent acquisition of Fox film studios means it has the rights to the film adaptation of West Side Story, which Fox had been working on with director Steven Spielberg. The flick will start the holiday weekend on December 19, 2020, and will be followed up by the 101 Dalmatians live-action prequel Cruella on December 23.

Outside the holidays, Disney has several other original and Fox IPs in the works. Plenty of Marvel action is on the schedule too including X-Men: Dark Phoenix, The New Mutants, and others as yet untitled.

You can view the full schedule on the Disney website

Permalink to story.

If they were to do an entirely new saga people might be interested but nobody is asking for more spin-offs or sequels. Even a trilogy set in the Old Republic era might do OK, especially if it helped to explain the jedi vs sith dynamic.

Hollywood continues to show how depraved and creatively bankrupt they are, just wh0ring out old franchises year after year in the hopes of the gravy train never running out.

"The more you have of something, the less value you can accrue from it". These are words hollywood should takes more seriously.

Also, I think Disney is severely overestimating interest in Star Wh0res: the mary sue chronicles. Nobody cares about rey, finn, or the other forgettable cast members, as toy sales, the failure of solo, and lack of excitement online over episode IX compared to VII and VIII showed. Disney hasnt put in the hard work to make likable characters, yet expects consumers to mindlessly lap up this drivel and pay out the nose for it. It wouldnt surprise me to see episode IX barely break even, if not lose money, just like Soylo did.

I love Star Wars, but I am getting SW fatigue. I still have not watched Solo, because I was so burned out.

What's your opinion on the MCU?

I ask because, we've had 22 MCU movies in the last 11 years, and during that same time period, only have had 4 Star Wars movies.

Last edited:
Sequels on top of sequels. Hollywood - especially Disney - doesn't have an original idea left it appears.
Hollywood does actually... but nothing they want to spend big budgets on.

A blockbuster these days costs hundreds of millions of dollars and involves hundreds (if not thousands) of people. Studios literally cannot afford for them to flop - and so they make sure that they are based on "tried and true" ideas. Hence the plethora of superhero, live-action adaptations and sequels.

If you are starved for "original content", check out the small budget films at some of the smaller theaters in your city... Check out the winners of various film festivals... there are actually more excellent original movies coming out now than there have ever been.

The problem is that those movies cannot afford to advertise very much - so all you tend to hear about is Avengers Endgame and Aladdin....

Put forth a little effort, however, and you'll be entertained quite nicely...

Sequels on top of sequels. Hollywood - especially Disney - doesn't have an original idea left it appears.

Agreed, and what I was going to post. I was hoping to see something original in the list... I saw VII when it came out and thought it was ok. I've been flooded by articles with SW ever since and quickly lost interest unfortunately.

I ask because, we've had 22 MCU movies in the last 11 years, and during that same time period, only have had 4 Star Wars movies.

I've only seen two - the first Avengers last Friday, and the latest Avengers on Sunday. :) But point taken!

I have not seen Endgame, but honestly, it is getting boring.

My personal favorites were all the Captain America movies, Guardians of the Galaxy I, and Doctor Strange.

For me, the best of Marvel right now is on TV in Agents of Shield (at least through last season) and Cloak and Dagger (at least season 1 - I have not yet seen any of season 2).

I love Star Wars, but I am getting SW fatigue. I still have not watched Solo, because I was so burned out.

Superhero and Star Wars fatigue is a big thing. However, I think Star Wars has a lot more to offer. Someone needs to recreate the Marvel/Comic Book paradigm with comics, huge universe and better storylines.

Star Wars is rich in fan fiction, the merchandise possibilities and now Disney+ is huge. However no one likes to risk anything in Hollywood, so instead we have cash grabs each and every year with lackluster story lines, amazing VFX all equaling to "nothing special" final product.

Marvel has shown us what a "greater" storyline looks like by tying a lot of individual movies together. It's profitable. However, it has to start with a smaller movie, one after the other.

Imagine this;

Not rehashing the same shitty Star Wars Episode I to VI (because that's what VII,VIII and IX really are). Start with a story line set WAY before Episode 1. Build towards the Sith Empire, how it all started. You can then fast forward back and forth different eras in different trilogy installments etc.

I am bored of the pre/post "Skywalker" era. It's really ****ing ****.

-------

I wish Star Trek would come out with more movies, unfortunately the last one was a while back so the TV show will have to give me the "scifi" fix.

It's not really about the ideas, it's about the lack of balls. Modern movies fall into two categories: the >$100,000,000 and the <$10,000,000. You either have safe-bet blockbusters, or the latest Seth Rogan comedy.

The ideas are there, but producers aren't willing to lay down $50 million for a new, original and interesting movie. That kind of money goes on dramas for streaming platforms - Prime or Netflix. The original movie space is largely dead because no studios are gambling, because the costs are so high.

The success of The Sopranos was basically the first signal that original cinema was going to die. Why make a 2-hour dramatic, character-led piece, when you can spend the same budget for a 10 episode series that enables you to better flesh out the characters and the plot? And distribution and marketing costs are suddenly dramatically lowered because the streaming platform will do it for you.

It's a huge shame, because cinema is a brilliant medium, and some thing really are made for the big screen. I remember seeing Gladiator in the cinema and really feeling like part of the Colosseum crowd. But Gladiator wouldn't be made for cinema today, it would be a 10-part series on HBO instead.

Back