Disney+ rolls out ad-supported tier to better compete with Netflix

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: The ad supported tier for Disney+ has arrived and there are a couple of changes that new and existing subscribers will want to take note of. The new tier is called Disney+ Basic and it is priced at $7.99 per month. With it, you'll get access to the same library of content that's available through higher-priced tiers including more than 300 titles in 4K UHD and HDR. The ad-supported plan also enables users to watch on up to four screens at no extra cost.

Disney+ Premium (with no ads) now commands $10.99 per month, or $109.99 a year. In addition to everything Basic affords, Premium members get unlimited offline downloads on up to 10 devices as well as support for GroupWatch and Dolby Atmos. With GroupWatch, you can host virtual movie nights, sync up for season premieres and more without having to be in the same physical location.

Disney also has a couple of new bundles for your consideration. The Disney Bundle Duo Basic includes Disney+ Basic (with ads) and Hulu (with ads) for $9.99 per month while the Disney Bundle Trio Basic packs in Disney+ Basic (with ads), Hulu (with ads) and ESPN+ (with ads) for $12.99 a month. Last but not least, the Disney Bundle Trio Premium for $19.99 a month grants access to Disney+ Premium (no ads), Hulu (no ads) and ESPN+ (with ads).

Rival Netflix rolled out its ad-supported streaming tier just over a month ago. Netflix Basic with ads sells for $6.99 per month but limits streaming to 1080p quality. What's more, you can only stream to a single device at a time, offline viewing is not supported and some shows and movies aren't included. You do, however, get unlimited access to Netflix's growing video game catalog.

Disney finished its most recent quarter with 12 million new streaming subscribers, pushing its total number of subs to 164.2 million. For comparison, Netflix reported 223.09 paying subscribers at the end of the third quarter.

Image credit: Thekingblader995, Cottonbro Studio

Permalink to story.

"to better compete with Netflix" just lower your price of the plans you already had instead of acting like introducing ads that we pay for is a good thing...
People are starting to drop services that lack quality content, services like D+
I dont think they can afford to lower price. If anything, will should see another price increase
not in the far future

As someone who habitually watches OTA TV, I'm overjoyed not to have to subscribe to this. (y) (Y)

Between ads for HIV "prep" and "suppression" drugs, and ambulance chasing shysters, I now have to close my eyes during the commercials, in addition to my old custom of merely hitting the mute button.

I spent an evening with "The Disney Channel", turned up full blast at a laundromat one night. It seemed to be an eternity. I've never gone back, and I've resorted to buying new clothes ever since.

The amount of upward volume compression applied to the promotional breaks, turns even a whisper, into a shout. :scream:

I bet they won't turn the ad volume to the same level as the show/movie. I tried Hulu with ads and damn near crazy. Tubi is free with ads, and their ads aren't loud

Because I have Hulu, I just got a ad promotion to get Disney + with ads for an extra $2 a month, Disney is in trouble so no thanks.

Back