Disney to launch streaming service in 2019, will pull its movies from Netflix

midian182

Staff member

Disney has announced it will launch its own video streaming service in 2019. While Disney and Pixar films will be shown exclusively on the unnamed site, the rights of the Star Wars and Marvel movies are still being decided – there’s a chance they could stay on Netflix.

Disney’s current deal with Netflix expires in 2019 and covers titles scheduled for release through the end of next year, which means the popular streaming site will eventually show the likes of Avengers: Infinity War and the young Han Solo movie. What happens to the Marvel and Star Wars properties after this date is still unclear. Disney CEO Bob Iger says they may not end up on his company’s future streaming service, but we don’t know if he means they’ll appear on something else owned by Disney, or be licensed to other companies such as Netflix.

A Netflix rep said the news doesn’t affect the deal it has with Disney for the Marvel TV shows such as Luke Cage, Daredevil, and The Defenders. It will remain in place indefinitely.

"US Netflix members will have access to Disney films on the service through the end of 2019, including all new films that are shown theatrically through the end of 2018. We continue to do business with the Walt Disney Company on many fronts, including our ongoing deal with Marvel TV," said a company spokesperson.

Disney’s service will be built using technology from video streaming platform BAMTech, which it just invested an additional $1.58 billion for a 75 percent stake in the firm.

Disney is also planning to release an ESPN streaming service in early 2018. It will feature around “10,000 live regional, national, and international games and events a year.”

Permalink to story.

There must be some hidden agenda we are unaware of. Why would Disney pull their content from an established service? Certainly they get a certain amount of revenue from people just "stumbling across" one of their movies while searching for a good flick to watch? And already being established doesn't hurt not to mention the aforementioned reason. Pay an extra fee to see their content? This certainly isn't in the best interest of the families that want more diversity ....... This move sounds dumber than pluto!

I'm no conspiracy theorist but it seems that perhaps the old cable guard may be behind all of this. They can't stand us wanting to cut the cord so they tell the content producers to put all of their content on separate services. Then in a couple of years, after we're all tired of the separate service BS, cable will say "Tired of all of the different services? Come back to cable TV where we have it all!"

I certainly agree with every post so far. I have Netflix. While I will watch Disney on Netflix, I will not in the least subscribe to an exclusive Disney service except, perhaps, if it came in at $1.00/mo - which I bet it will almost certainly not come in at that price.

For the movies I am interested in, I will rent them on Blu-ray from Redbox if I do not see them in the theater.

In another article that I read on this, it said that they will also let people subscribe to ESPN separately for sports as well as provide sports specific packages to those who want them. However, I cannot imagine that this will be a better deal than something like subscribing to the NHL network directly.

All I have to say to Iger is Good Luck with that!

I'm no conspiracy theorist but it seems that perhaps the old cable guard may be behind all of this. They can't stand us wanting to cut the cord so they tell the content producers to put all of their content on separate services. Then in a couple of years, after we're all tired of the separate service BS, cable will say "Tired of all of the different services? Come back to cable TV where we have it all!"
It is the old cable guard. ESPN has for years twisted the arms of subscription providers by making them take ESPN at a high cost or get nothing at all. However, due to cord-cutters, this is no longer a viable tactic and is likely why Disney claims it is going to allow people to subscribe to ESPN only or only ESPN sports specific packages.

I am willing to bet that ESPN will go over well with at least some sports fans, however, as I said above, I think that I would rather subscribe to the NHL network directly as opposed to subscribing to an NHL specific package from ESPN.

In other news - OTA antenna sales are expected to increase by 7% next year, which, to me anyway, indicates that people are tired of being milked by "content providers" like Disney.

IMO, Netflix is still one of the best streaming deals around, and the new OTA standard, ATSC 3.0, cannot get here fast enough.

The nice thing about Netflix and Hulu is that they were one-stop shops for content. As more and more companies decide to run their own streaming services, it lessens the appeal of cord-cutting. The cost of subscribing to multiple streaming services can add up fast. Plus, having to deal with multiple apps and accounts gets to be a hassle, especially for people who are not tech-savvy. Also, let's not forget that more and more ISPs are adding data caps to their internet service, which hurts streaming services in general.

Talk about just jumping right on the current trending bandwagon... Seems like reinventing the wheel and making your own exclusive streaming service is the flavor of the year. Personally, I can see this bolstering Disney's sales of discs, and the streaming service having very disappointing uptake with consumers. Consumer service / app fatigue is a real thing, and it's going to be a hard slap in the face to a lot of these greedy companies who want to wall themselves into their own little service gardens and charge for admission.

Well that is ****ing stupid. I wouldn't pay for two movie services. It's getting ridiculous, exclusivity. Streaming reduces piracy, but multiple services will just make us pirate again.

GREED OF DISNEY

Switch monthly between services ? I have used Netflix India for few months and switched to hotstar for a few.

Switch monthly between services ? I have used Netflix India for few months and switched to hotstar for a few.

Effort. Point being dividing between so many services just puts a stick up the consumers ***. It's also a grief imho to keep switch on and off depending what you want to watch. What if you want to watch X on service A and also Y on service B? Wait another month? It's same with Steam/Origin, a pain in the ***. Obviously competition is good so can't argue that I suppose. If there is no competition for Netflix/Spotify we will get AMD/Intel drama.

Just hate stupid exclusivity, unless its only for few weeks/month or two.

Shame, means I will just not watch anything by disney then. Americans showing again how they want all the money, not just most of it, even at risk of loosing it all.

Back