Display will not light up on startup

When I power up the computer the monitor will not light up. I know the monitor is on b/c I can turn it off/on and get a brief message onscreen that it is not receiving a signal. I know the computer is working b/c after turning on the power and waiting a minute I hear the brief music Windows plays when the opening screen appears.
The problem is the display remains dark. How do I diagnose this? I assume it is either tihe video cable or the video card. How do I figure out which it might be? Or is something else going on?
Any help will be appreciated.

First, you have to tell us the brand and model of the computer.
It appears to be a laptop, and the inverter card appears to have burned out. $10 to fix it yourself if you are handy with tools and know how to use eBay, or as much as $150 if you pay to have it done.

Sorry for the lack of info re the computer. It is a Velocity Micro desktop running a quad core processor (don't remember which flavor) with a Nvidea 9800GTX video card and an NEC 24 in. monitor. This combo has been working together for more than 2 years wo/problems. As I said before the computer and monitor seem to be working ok. It is just that the monitor is not receiving a signal from the computer although the computer sounds like it is loading up Windows Vista normally.
One other piece of info: the computer usually gives one beep on startup before it starts loading the system. When I boot up now the computer gives 3 rapid beeps on startup. I'm not sure what that might mean but I have been looking thru forums and got the impression this may mean the video component has not passed its initial system test.
How can I determine whether the video card is the culprit?

Yep, it appears to be an inverter.
If you remove the screen and look at the label on the back, you can find out which inverter to order on ebay or take it to a good shop. On eBay the part is $7.00 to $15.00 depending on the source.
It will take you a #0 phillips screwdriver, and about four hours work... or you can take it to a good shop. If they have the part in stock, it will take them 20 to 35 minutes and they will charge you $65 for the labor and $65 for the part.

No, my hands-on computer work is far behind me. Too much hand shake and too poor eye sight. So the problem is in my monitor, not the video card? Even though the monitor is able to display the message that it is not receiving a signal from the computer?
So I take the monitor to Micro Center and tell them that the inverter is toast and they will know what I'm talking about and fix it?

Just wanted to follow up and let viewers know what the outcome was. Since opinions varied as to whether I had a monitor, mother board or video card problem I took the computer to Micro Center and they reported that the memory module of the video card had failed. So I replaced it with the EGVA GTX 460 and I'm cruisin' again. Whew.
Thanks to all who offered help.

Thank you for taking the time to send us an update... It is strange how few helpful replies like this that we actually receive.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Back