Ditching the feature phone for good: Smartphones now 87% of US handset shipments

Julio Franco

Staff member

According to research data from Counterpoint’s Market Monitor, Q1 2014 was the biggest quarter for smartphones in the US market reaching 33 million units (shipped, not sold) which represent a staggering 87% of the total handset shipments during that period. 

There's a ton of interesting data that's been already highlighted in Counterpoint's summary, here's some it:

• Apple iPhone remains the top smartphone in the US, while Samsung takes the lead if you count both feature phones and smartphones.
  • Apple and Samsung together account for over two-thirds of the smartphone market. If you look at the graph above, you'll notice Samsung is trailing not too far behind Apple, even though the latter only ships 2-3 phone models at any given time.
  • Android smartphones account for 59% of the smartphones shipped during Q1/2014.
  • Windows Phone's share grew quarter on quarter but still represents less than 4% of the smartphones shipped in the US.
  • Over 75% of the smartphones shipped were LTE-capable, of which a majority (over 70%) came from Apple or Samsung.
  • Apple's iPhone captured more than half of Verizon's and AT&T smartphone shipments.
  • Samsung was the top selling brand at T-Mobile.

Counterpoint’s research also indicates that T-Mobile has overtaken Sprint to become the third largest smartphone carrier, trailing closely AT&T, and showing success of the company's Uncarrier strategy.

Permalink to story.

Potato, tomato,... smart phone and,...oh wait a second,...is that what we used to call it? :)

Who wants a dumb phone? ;)

There's no reason to get a feature phone anymore. Smartphones now retail for as low as $40 now and even those have decent functionality for the price.

There's no reason to get a feature phone anymore. Smartphones now retail for as low as $40 now and even those have decent functionality for the price.
aside from the fact that they rape you with data plans and you are required to buy one with most new phones.

A lot of seniors are scared of smartphones and this comes from the fear of technology altogether. They don't care about text or anything else except using the call features of the phone.

How do you know what seniors want and what scares them? I'm 75. I have a smart phone and so do all of my senior friends.

How do you know what seniors want and what scares them? I'm 75. I have a smart phone and so do all of my senior friends.

You have you remember, my generation (children of baby boomers) possess clairvoyance and hints of omniscience. Not only do we know what scares you, we know what will scare people long into in the future. Because studies, or something.

A lot of seniors are scared of smartphones and this comes from the fear of technology altogether. They don't care about text or anything else except using the call features of the phone.

So, let me get this straight, the only reason someone would have no interest in texting and unproductive features (90% of the value of a smartphone, IMO), is out of fear of technology?

Good for you. A part of our clientele are seniors, and we see this first hand. Of course, I'm not saying all.

You have you remember, my generation (children of baby boomers) possess clairvoyance and hints of omniscience. Not only do we know what scares you, we know what will scare people long into in t

So, let me get this straight, the only reason someone would have no interest in texting and unproductive features (90% of the value of a smartphone, IMO), is out of fear of technology?

Absolutely!

Back