Do burners have an odometer or memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyellis

My laptop's warranty is coming up, and the DVD burner has be deteriorating with a lot of vibration and even occasional grinding. The computer is about 2 years old, but I have put a lot of mileage on the drive in that time. Before I try and convince them that my warranty should cover replacing the drive, I was wondering whether there was anything a service person can look at to know how many discs have been burned, etc.??

Thanks.

If the burner hasn't been misused or physically damaged then it's replaceable under warranty.
Service tech's cannot tell how much mileage the drive has on it or how many discs you have burnt/played.................I think that's more the province of the C.I.A., or possibly whoever works out the F.I.F.A. football rankings.

.......I think that's more the province of the C.I.A., or possibly whoever works out the F.I.F.A. football rankings.

LMAO......nice and possably true

Never heard of any time or distance limit failures,other than old age and use (like me)....so go get it fixed......

Everything wears out. If your laptop has a defective drive, they will replace it under the warranty, but the warranty of the replacement drive ends when the original warranty ends.
But if it is still working, reading and writing using the original software provided at the time of purchase of the laptop, they will charge you a fee for examination if it is still working properly.
The warranty guarantees against failure, not lowered performance.

Thanks folks. And no comment on FIFA... If you rearrange the letters and replace the 2 "F"s with a "C", you get CIA. Spooky, eh? :)

Ironically I was looking at my posts jsut now and found that I had originally posted a question about the drive's problems early last year:

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic125635.html

Lately my 'workaround' to tamp the vibration is not working, and every 2nd or 3rd burn starts grinding and I have to manually power off to stop it. :(

What is more, nothing useful results from trying to repair or adjust one. When they are bad, they are bad. During a lifetime, each computer user will have some good ones, some great ones, and some very awful ones.
But so far, the prices are amazingly low... though you should always budget for a replacement, as the failures are suddent and without warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back