Does anyone have any opinions on perpendicular vs. parallel recording in HDD's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VvWolverinevV

Are there any noticeable differences? I know perpendicular is supposed to be better in theory, but if real-life doesn't match theory, theory is useless.

I've heard of this as being Vertical Recording (ie the bits are magnetized in a vertical orientation),
but only in relationship to CD or DVD media. V.R. will greatly increase the density per recording surface.
Would not be surprising to see this pushed backwards into HDs.

jobeard said:
I've heard of this as being Vertical Recording (ie the bits are magnetized in a vertical orientation),
but only in relationship to CD or DVD media. V.R. will greatly increase the density per recording surface.
Would not be surprising to see this pushed backwards into HDs.

Perpendicular recording is the manufacturing process used for today's hard drives. If you want an example of how Perpendicular recording vastly increases the HDD space, look at the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 with 1Terabyte of space.

As to the original question, I would wait a while to see how this works out before considering using it.

Perpendicular recording has been out for quite some time. I think its fairly established tech. Then with the increased density, performance should be higher. Can you even purchase new hard drives without it anymore?

In fact, the estimated MTBF is higher than that of parallel recording... It also lowers the seek times (very) slightly, increasing performance (very) slightly. It's really not enough to take into consideration though, as far as I know.

And yes, it has been around for at least a few years. Seagate had the first commercial products and I believe it is their technology. They must really believe it works well if they slap a 5-year warranty them. :)

tipstir said:
Which OS are you referring too?
I'm interested in how this may relate...

SNGX1275 said:
Perpendicular recording has been out for quite some time. I think its fairly established tech. Then with the increased density, performance should be higher. Can you even purchase new hard drives without it anymore?
Oh, haha, you're right! The two hard drives I was comparing were actually just desktop and server versions of the same perpendicular recording HDD! Thanks for all the responses though; sorry for the poorly researched question.

I am actually now using Windows Vista as my main operating system, but I too am curious as to how that is relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back