does anyone know anything about overclocking a Gf2 Mx400?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uhcm-9

Hi. I know my videocard is very old and i will be getting a new one within 1-2 months, but i'd like to overclock my current card, a Geforce 2 MX400 64mb, until then.

At the moment, my core clock is 200mhz and my memory clock is 143 mhz. What could i set them to without having to get a fan or something?

Thank you in advance.

I have overclocked a GF2MX (Original) before and managed to completely max out both sliders in the coolbits overclocking tab.
All I used was an old 486 FAN and some custom ramsinks (made from staple type things that join metal strapping), however this only gave me about 500 more marks in 3Dmark2001SE. You should be able to push the clocks fairly high, especially if the chip already has a heatsink on it.

Well what you would have to do is get a program like powerstrip (if you havent already got it go to http://www.entechtaiwan.com)
Then what I recommend you do, as I did with my 4600, is raise your core clocks by about 2MHz each time and you can raise your memory a little bit more than your core if you wish. Each time you have raised your clocks do a 3DMark test and record your scores. If your computer freezes, it will most likely be because your video card overheated; let it cool down then set your clocks back to the last functional setting. This link might help you -

https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4397

Be careful not to raise it too high as you will fry your card! So basically, go up in 2's!!! Good luck.

Originally posted by timmoore
Well what you would have to do is get a program like powerstrip (if you havent already got it go to http://www.entechtaiwan.com)
Then what I recommend you do, as I did with my 4600, is raise your core clock by about 2MHz and you can raise your memory a little bit more than your core if you wish. Each time you have raised your clocks do a 3DMark test and record your scores. If your computer freezes, it will most likely be because your video card overheated; let it cool down then set your clocks back to the last functional setting. This link might help you -

https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4397

Be careful not to raise it too high as you will fry your card!

You do not even need powerstrip for this card. Simply create the Coolbits entry in the registry (if it doesn't exist. My Tweaking Program can do this), and then go into display properties/ additional settings/advanced/clock frequency adjustment.

With that Graphics card you can safely try adjusting values by about 10Mhz at a time rather than 2Mhz, but overclocking it is not really worthwhile IMO since it is only a DX7 Card anyway, and the improvements are only very small.

Hmm, interesting, will your tweaker work for my GPU? Powerstrip gets in the way a little!

There are no GF4 Specific Tweaks in program, but there are several tweaks relating to NVIDIA cards, such as AGP Fast Writes and 4X Mode.

thanks

thanks to all of you. I was increasing the clock speeds with a program that came with my video card, called EXPERT Tool. I have no idea why the expert is in caps, though.

and if the performance increase isn't really worth it, then i guess i'll leave it alone. It already had a heatsink, but 2-10 mhz doesn't sound like much difference.

thank you all anyway

Re: thanks

Originally posted by uhcm-9
and if the performance increase isn't really worth it, then i guess i'll leave it alone. It already had a heatsink, but 2-10 mhz doesn't sound like much difference.

2 & 10 Mhz were simply values that we suggested you should try increasing the speeds by each time. You should be able to get around a 25 Mhz+ Overclock.

The Steps for Overclocking are

1. increase clock speed by fixed amount (i.e. 5 or 10mhz, 2mhz is really too small)
2. test that the o/c is stable by running 3d mark or playing an intensive game like Q3/UT for a while
3. repeat steps 1&2 until system is unstable
4. increase clock speed by 1Mhz at a time, from the highest stable overclock (repeating step 2) until the highest stable speed is found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back