Does Windows need an anti-virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbasi

[FONT=verdana]Hello all,[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]While Windows itself has some defending tools like Windows Defender, does it need to anti-virus nevertheless?[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]If yes, why?[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]Thanks.[/FONT]

Dear jobread:
My post wasn't about network security! It's only about the Windows (say 7) OS and it's need to an AV, not anything else.:)

I think your answer lies within the 4th and 5th layer of jobeard response.

Windows Defender is a crippled excuse for an AV. Even Microsoft recommends you do not rely on Windows Defender as a full fledged AV. Windows Defender is meant only to be the most basic protection.

Dear jobread:
My post wasn't about network security! It's only about the Windows (say 7) OS and it's need to an AV, not anything else.:)
I gave you a reference to round out your understanding of Security - - regardless of the source of the risk. The problems are MUCH bigger than the myopic view "is A/V necessary". Per the reference cited, A/V is always reactive and a day-late (ie you are already infected). But hey, I'm glad you have all the issues under control - -

Best wishes.

Yup security software is must for your PC!
This help you to protect pc from any kinds of internet malware attacks! I would suggest you to go with Comodo because it acts well in protecting your pc.
Here is the link of AV test conducted recently in which comodo has scored 6/6 for protection,

Dear jobread:
It basically depends on how many people you'd care to share your personal information with, and how long you're willing to wait for any command to execute. And then too, whether or not you're willing to pay 50 bucks from time to time, to get control of your computer back. You make the call.

Just install "Microsoft Security Essentials". It's free, it works OK, and if it doesn't, at least you can say you tried.

It is probably a good idea to have something other than Windows Defender (I use Avast), but to be honest I don't think I've received a legitimate virus alert for years (even when I had McAfee and for a brief time Norton). As long as you visit familiar web pages and rely on solid reviews before downloading from a site, you should be good.

The Windows Operating System is full of malware. There are about 1,000,000+ viruses that you can get on the Windows operating system. It is extremely recommended to have an antivirus on Windows. Don't use Norton, McAfee, or AVG.

The Windows Operating System is full of malware.
Not really....
Don't use Norton, McAfee, or AVG.
You advise against using these particular AV programs. But, you don't explain why? Anyways, as most have suggested, you will want something other than windows defender. I suggest taking captaincranky's advice and install MSE. The best that you can do beside installing an AV program is practicing safe browsing.

The Windows Operating System is full of malware. There are about 1,000,000+ viruses that you can get on the Windows operating system. It is extremely recommended to have an antivirus on Windows. Don't use Norton, McAfee, or AVG.
OK, you're obviously new to the site, and here's some constructive criticism. Please put you're brain in gear, before you start shooting off your typewriter. Nobody but you, could understand this post without, "reading between the lines", or "taking into consideration implied meanings".

The Windows operating system is NOT, "full of malware". Millions of pieces of malware have been written to attempt to infect it. There's a big difference.

As far as "don't use AVG" goes, that's an opinion. It happens to be the number one rated free anti-virus program at the moment. So, why wouldn't you recommend using the best software?

(Hint, "because I said so", doesn't count).

As far as "don't use AVG" goes, that's an opinion. It happens to be the number one rated free anti-virus program at the moment. So, why wouldn't you recommend using the best software?
AVG may be now but it wasn't rated highly during 2009 for Windows 7. After a 24 hour test drive on my PC, AVG was quickly removed because of system instability. However I have since come to the conclusion AVG has corrected those issues. MSSE would have to treat me wrong before I decided to try AVG again. My decision is mostly based on how long it took AVG to correct their issues, not the fact that the issues existed.

AVG may be now but it wasn't rated highly during 2009 for Windows 7. After a 24 hour test drive on my PC, AVG was quickly removed because of system instability.
Well to be fair, this is 2013 not 2009.

There were some problems going from AVG free 2008, to 2009. (I think those were the 2 years involved).

A tool they provided cleaned up the mess. As far as I'm concerned the new version was fine after the clean up.

That said, I've never tried tro use it on Win 7.

So, it's time for the disclaimer: "your results may vary".

An antivirus rating depends more on who tests it and when than on the tool’s performance itself. Thus, the source of the report should be named, and be reputable and independent. Unnamed sources aren’t worth their…name.

So, according to the latest tests on behalf of the American Consumers Association published June 2013, the ranking of the 4 major free antivirus tools is:
AVAST
AVIRA
AVG
Microsoft

Results were similar in the previous two tests, except that the order of the top two tools was reversed. Microsoft consistently lands at the bottom with AVG just above it.

I add that the above tests are conducted in common with European Consumers Organizations, so their publications will agree.

But less authoritative individuals will and do disagree.

So, according to the latest tests on behalf of the American Consumers Association published June 2013, the ranking of the 4 major free antivirus tools is:
AVAST
AVIRA
AVG
Microsoft

Results were similar in the previous two tests, except that the order of the top two tools was reversed. Microsoft consistently lands at the bottom with AVG just above it.

I add that the above tests are conducted in common with European Consumers Organizations, so their publications will agree.

But less authoritative individuals will and do disagree.
Oh gosh, I'm silly enough to think PC World magazine is "authoritative".

"Avira", (free version), is mostly crap, with a bunch of adware thrown in for good measure. AV "solutions" as well as some individuals, can oftentimes test well, and still not amount to much.

PC World, first mentioned a posteriori, is to be noticed but not treated as the bible, while any publication that carries ads is not independent.

As for the last paragraph, that’s what I meant by “less authoritative individuals will and do disagree”.

It's completely wrong my friend.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back