Don't miss the 'Mafia III' worldwide reveal trailer

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It’s 1968. You’re a Vietnam veteran named Lincoln Clay that has returned to his hometown of New Orleans hell-bent on taking out Italian mob boss Sal Marcano.

That’s the cliff notes version of the plot behind Mafia III, the highly anticipated next chapter in the popular franchise. Developed by 2K Games new studio, Hangar 13, the game continues the trend of moving Mafia forward in time, says creative director Haden Blackman.

Rather than tell another story based solely on the Italian mob, the developers opted to take a different approach. The game’s protagonist is of mixed race in the south during a period when race relations were quite volatile. Blackman said the game won’t shy away from that truth but they’re also not going to be getting up on a soapbox.

He added that race is one of the things that define Clay’s identity but it’s not the only thing that defines him.

The first installment in the Mafia franchise, Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven, arrived way back in 2002. Its follow-up, the aptly-titled Mafia II, made its debut in 2010 and if everything goes according to plan, the third title in the series will launch next year for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

The Mafia III game trailer embedded here debuted earlier today at Gamescom 2015. While it looks incredibly gritty, it’s also entirely CGI-based which doesn’t exactly give us any indication of true gameplay.

Permalink to story.

That trailer had a couple good songs, didn't make me want to play the game at all... Until game play is reveal, story, plot, details you know. Because going by this trailer, your out for revenge, what a god damn surprise...

As a side note, because you can't go full screen I went to youtube, and wow the racist comments there, people are absurd. This isn't likely to be some thug life gangsta wanna be story, it's post Vietnam, issues were real and serious.

It looks good. I still play Mafia II these days but it's a shame I can't play Mafia from 2002, that's how much I've enjoyed the franchise. Games have been so thin on the ground for PC for the last few years and I really do expect the PC release to be an utter fiasco like the latest Batman and Assassins Creed were so pre ordering is not an option, as if it ever were.

I thoroughly enjoyed Mafia II, and since so much time had passed thought there was not going to be a successor. Hearing that a new version is on the way is good news, I only hope it is worth playing. I also hope they have learned something from the recent releases by others, and make sure the game is ready to play upon release, and not an unplayable bug collection.

Back