Download: AMD Catalyst 13.1 WHQL driver

Rick

Staff

Good news for Radeon owners: AMD's latest WHQL-certified Catalyst driver (13.1) has finally materialized. After an unusually long wait -- no doubt thanks in part to AMD's recent "dynamic release" policy -- 13.1 contains all the improvements 12.11 beta made in October, but adds further bug fixes, enhancements and refinements.

Download AMD's Catalyst 13.1 (WHQL)
Note: All packages work with both desktop and mobile GPUs

AMD is touting some definite performance gains with Catalyst 13.1, at least when compared to 12.10 (the last official WHQL release). Noteworthy improvements for HD 7000-series desktop GPUs include a supposed 10-15 percent boost in Battlefield (up to 20 percent for certain maps) and an "up to 25" percent bump in Far Cry 3 with 8xMSAA and SSAO enabled @ 1600p.

Here are some other highlights:

• Up to 7% more performance in Metro 2033
  • Up to 10% more performance in DiRT Showdown
  • Up to 8% more performance in Sleeping Dogs
  • Up to 12% more performance in Civilization V
  • Up to 10% more performance in StarCraft II
  • Up to 8% more performance in Sniper Elite: V2
  • Up to 5% more performance in Max Payne 3

Catalyst 13.1 also delivers fantastic news for owners of gaming laptop stuffed with Radeon HD 7970M GPUs and Enduro-based switchable graphics (e.g. some Alienware M17, MSI GX60 owners). After resolving issues discovered in previous drivers, gamers may see gains as big as 40, 50 -- even 90 percent -- for some titles. Examples include: AvP (11%), Battlefield 3 (25%), Call of Duty (13%), DiRT Showdown (62%), Just Cause 2 (90%), StarCraft 2 (25%) and Skyrim (45%). 

In addition to performance improvements, 13.1 brings various bug fixes and tweaks to Windows 7, Windows 8 and certain desktop software. 

• A sporadic system hang encountered with a single AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPU seen on X58 and X79 chipsets.
  • An intermittent hang encountered with AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPUs in an AMD CrossFire + Eyefinity setup.
  • Missing fonts in XBMC
  • No video found in Media Player Classic Home Cinema when using full or half floating point processing
  • Skyrim lighting (missing a lighting pass) for the AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
  • Skyrim cloud corruption experience in various in game locations
  • A hang playing Dishonored on the AMD Radeon HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series
  • Engine and memory clocks running too high when the GPU is idle.
  • GPU activity runs at lower values than expected seen on the AMD Radeon HD 7870.
  • Corruption seen in Darkness 2 and Carrier Command when using AMD CrossFire configurations
  • Adobe Premier Pro CS6 may fail to launch
  • Hang experienced with AMD Crossfire and Eyefinity enabled on X58 and X78 chipsets
  • Corel PaintShop Pro X3 – Hangs at the "Initializing Command Manager" window
  • Company of Heroes 2 – display corruption experienced when AA is enabled in the AMD Catalyst Control Center
  • Cyberlink Powerdirector 10 crashes intermittently.
  • Company of Heroes : Tales of Valor – Flickering experienced when AA is disabled
  • Max Payne 3 – Flickering experienced in DirectX 9 mode with forced AA enabled
  • Cyberlink PoweDVD 10 – crashes intermittently
  • VLC - Green texture corruption seen in 720p MPEG2 video clips
  • Black screen encountered when "Alternate DVI mode" is enabled in the AMD Catalyst Control Center
  • Green display corruption seen in Skype webcam video

The list of known issues is a short one, indicating Sleeping Dogs may fail to launch under certain configurations. The second notice is for Shogun 2: Total War owners, who may experience flickering while playing the game with "medium quality" settings. Happy gaming. Finally, to give you a fresh start Advanced Micro Devices introduced the AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility to remove previous versions of their drivers.

Permalink to story.

This driver practically makes the 7770-7850 more perfect for mid range budget people which want to play good games at 1080p on exp battlefield 3 which can already be maxed on some maps

Does this update solves the microstuttering issue detected on some games like Skyrim?

Skyrim lighting (missing a lighting pass) for the AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
Skyrim cloud corruption experience in various in game locations

these were the skyrim patches though download the driver still u may never know

The awkward moment when you go through the whole clean uninstall procedure (very long) and you notice they made a uninstall tool after you are done. lol

Finally! A driver that successfully fixed my Metro2033 problems. This has to be the first time I've actually had anything good happen for me after installing a new graphics driver lmao.

Great uninstall tool! Everything goes smooth and quickly on Win7 64bits.
Also a good thing is that the drivers releases are coming just when new things are added, not every month.

" AvP (11%), Battlefield 3 (25%), Call of Duty (13%), DiRT Showdown (62%), Just Cause 2 (90%), StarCraft 2 (25%) and Skyrim (45%)."

... what in the hell did they do to get those numbers? it's like they released a new generation of video cards. were the drivers before this that bad? ^_^

Puiu hmm yes agreed... doesn't sound like they were too performance oriented before.

Good news that the driver update finally out tho for desktop

I'm curious how the AMD uninstaller compares to Driver Fusion (Formerly Driver Sweeper) when updating Radeon drivers and clearing enough of the Radeon leftovers out for a clean GeForce driver install...

I'm running dual monitors on a 5830. I often get screen tearing when scrolling a webpage and also anytime a Flash video begins to play (and also when I leave the page with the video or close the tab) both screens have a 'glitch' real breifly. Hopefully this fixes it, but I really doubt it. This is my first AMD/ATi video card since a Radeon 9600XT and I am not impressed with it, never had tearing or flash issues with my 8800GTS.

try making a new thread in the forum. maybe you can figure out why the sudden drop in frame rate. maybe it's a settings problem in the game or in the catalyst.
I restored factory defaults and something changed. I uninstalled the 12.8 driver and installed 13.1... I got bad frame drops in BF3. I tried the uninstall tool--worked great. I installed 13.1 again, frame drops in BO2. I guess I am gonna stick with BF3 for now.

I'm running dual monitors on a 5830. I often get screen tearing when scrolling a webpage and also anytime a Flash video begins to play (and also when I leave the page with the video or close the tab) both screens have a 'glitch' real breifly. Hopefully this fixes it, but I really doubt it. This is my first AMD/ATi video card since a Radeon 9600XT and I am not impressed with it, never had tearing or flash issues with my 8800GTS.
So far so good (hope I don't jinx myself by saying this), screen tearing and screen glitches starting and closing flash video seem to be gone with this update! I did run the uninstall utility, reboot, then install the new driver.

I restored factory defaults and something changed. I uninstalled the 12.8 driver and installed 13.1... I got bad frame drops in BF3. I tried the uninstall tool--worked great. I installed 13.1 again, frame drops in BO2. I guess I am gonna stick with BF3 for now.
I guess you're out of luck then. Wait for 13.2 which has some nice changes in it.

I guess you're out of luck then. Wait for 13.2 which has some nice changes in it.
Anything for cards other than the 7000 series. This is what I hate about AMD, they abandon us while nVidia is still optimizing old cards.

Back