Downloading

Status
Not open for further replies.

deseraligears

I have such a fear of downloading. As most of my Time on the computer is sent at work, I have this fear of damaging the Server. So first question . I see so many people giving advice on software to download, what is safe and what isn't example I have been looking at REVO Unistaller does anyone know anything about that, and secondly what about the screen enhancers that change icons or calender maintainence or downloads for microsoft can you deletre after down load does it clutter youu hard drive. Thanks

Any download carries a risk.
However, you can minimise the risk but making sure you have a decent internet security package which will provide some cover agains virus, spyware and hackers.
If you are in an office you should in truth talk to your network administrator.
With reference to the REVO uninstaller, will the standard program uninstaller not do the job well enough for you?
cheers

Thanks for the reply my Add remove show Windows Installer not Uninstaller Same thing Or perhaps Administartor remaoved it.

The Windows Installed and Windows Uninstaller are NOT the same thing! If you are in an office, you should have some guidelines about downloading. It is in the best interest of the IT department to set up these guidelines so as NOT to damage their server.

A good Rule of Thumb for anything regarding a computer system is "If you're not sure, don't!"

Understand completly that is why I have not downloaded anything!!! Although why would a Microsoft add on be a problem agin I do not download
for that reason. I just wanted to see if there were options.

I'm not following you. First, are you looking at the REVO uninstaller to do something you don't think you can do? Using Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel OR an uninstaller that might be a part of the program itself is the best way to go. And I recommend doing a search for left over files and folders after the uninstall. Sometimes a few remain.

Keep in mind that it's best to use what is available in your operating system to do as much as if can without downloading a software program to do it. Users can end up with multiple programs taking up 'space' and memory, to perform a function on their system that can be done within the OS itself.

I don't understand your reference to a Microsoft Add-on. What are you referring to? I don't think you mean the Manage Add-ons feature through Tools. Keep in mind that while the two words are often used together, Microsoft and Windows don't mean the same thing. So if software says 'for Windows', that doesn't necessarily mean MS put it out.

You won't have much fun if you stay away from all downloads! Know that Freeware and Shareware have the best chance of including something that you don't want- not all of them, but programs like screen savers, cursors, etc. are best to stay away from.

Do you have something in particular that you would like to have on your system?

Trusted software download site: http://www.download.com

To uninstall programs:
[Start] > [Control panel] > [Add or remove programs]

Stay safe when downloading:
AVG Antivirus - Downloads: 32,772,190 (35 million)
Ad aware Personal - Downloads: 253,921,857 (250 million)
ZoneAlarm - Downloads: 42,527,113 (45 million)

Now, as long as you arn't downloading any illegal software, or software from ads such as:
"YOU HAVE MESSAGES WAITING FOR YOU"
"CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE OUR 1,000,000th VISITOR"
"YOU HAVE WON"
"SEE THE NEXT PART OF THIS VIDEO"

you SHOULD be OK.

AVG AUTOMATICALLY SCANS THE FILES YOU DOWNLOAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back