Downvote option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amoeba00

TechSpot Elite
I was curious if there was any plan to implement a "downvote" or "dislike" option in the comments section. On a slightly related note, if there was an additional option to hide posts by particular users. Thanks.

But what does the ignore function do? Does the user know I am ignoring them?

Ideally, I'd like to hide all comments made by certain dumb-dumbs whose polarizing comments (I feel) add no value to any conversation in which they care to partake. I don't want to engage with them - just block out their noise.

If not that, then at least with down-voted comments implementation - those particular polarizing statements could be subsequently be hidden by design (click to reveal).

If you are looking for users to help test, I'd be more than happy to volunteer. Thanks!

But what does the ignore function do? Does the user know I am ignoring them?

Ideally, I'd like to hide all comments made by certain dumb-dumbs whose polarizing comments (I feel) add no value to any conversation in which they care to partake. I don't want to engage with them - just block out their noise.
I understand that’s exactly how it works. Ignored members won’t know you ignored them. This will only apply to the forum section.

And yes. That’s what we have in mind about downvoting.

Quick update. Ignore user functionality is now available throughout the site. So whatever you had set to ignore in the forums now will also apply to news and review comments. :yum

@Julio Franco Well Mr. Franco, I see that once again this "downvote" discussion has resurfaced, and initiated by the same member.

T strongly disagree that this should be even considered as an option. I base this in and old issue of simple courtesy whereas, "if you can't say something nice about an individual, don't say anything at all".

IMHO, it's all to easy to sit back and pass judgement on the contributions of others, while perhaps offering nothing substantial of your own, which is what a "downvote" option would facilitate.

There are several options to dealing with members one feels animosity towards, or vice versa.

1: Simply ignore them outright, which eliminates the necessity for any intervention by staff or software modifications.

2: Confront the situation. That can be done tactfully. (Although admittedly, tact is not my strongest suit).

3: Report the individual, if ad hominem issues arise.

So, my last word on the downvote issue would be for a member to either give a post a like, or simply move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back