Dual Athlon MP system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eveneannenevs

Hey, all. I've finally saved enough to buy myself another computer! I'm currently running...

Athlon 1.4 GHz /266 fsb
I-Will KD-266 mobo
512 PC133 ram
GeForce 2 Ti 32 MB

It's been a great computer... but I'm looking for something more -something more powerful. I'm looking into creating my own dual Athlon MP system, with 1800+ MPs. I'm thinking about which motherboard to get and there's either the ASUS or a TYAN. I need some advice on that, or with any other possible brands. But there's one thing im really worried about... POWER!!! Will a 400 watt PS suffice? or will I have to go higher? Would I need 2? Any advice on these matters would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• atari2600.gif
    atari2600.gif
    267 bytes · Views: 13
be ready for editing with dual processors

just for the record i wanna say to those people wanting more power, think about single processors n higher gigs, xp pro and win 2000 pro are the only good systems to put dual cpus on,95, 98 , win me dont support dual cpus. sound is a real problem with dual cpus you will have to tweak like hell to get it right, im not tryin to talk ya out of gettin a dual cpu board just make sure you research everything first or youll be disappointed bad. a 400 watt power supply is good for 2 cpus.

I am running a dual system at the moment (2x PIII 850@1Ghz) and I would recommend that you get at least a 450Watt PSU for a pair of dual athlons. Also make sure your case is WELL cooled. 1 Athlon on its own is hot - 2 will be scorching. You need to be spending at least £80 on cooling a system such as that.
(2 x £25 CPU fans + 3 Case fans @£10each)

Use Windows XP Pro as well - great for productivity apps, and pretty good for games too.

However before you even consider getting your dual system - do you actually need 2 cpus? 2 aren't any faster than 1 (except in Quake 3 based games), but excel at stuff like DVD ripping, 3d rendering etc.

i'm going to be working with several graphics apps at a time including illustrator, flash and 3d studio max. any extra power i can get would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back