Dual-boot start up issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash19

Hi, recently I formatted my second partition which had a copy of Vista Ultimate installed on it. Before I was running XP SP3 and Vista SP1 side by side but now I only want to use XP. The problem is, when I load up the computer it still thinks that I have Vista installed even though I deleted the partition and merged the empty space with my primary one. So it gives me the option of starting Vista or XP - not a problem as such but I'd still like to be able to to get rid of the option to load Vista when I don't even have it installed. Are there certain files that need to be deleted/modified? Or is this unavoidable now?

Thanks for the link, however my boot.ini file only has one entry - for XP. It does have a bit that says "/NOEXECUTE = OPTIN " which I didn't see in the example on the Microsoft page - should I delete that?

- I should add that I've got XP Home edition so I can't use the bootcfg.exe utility it suggests.

Start up Windows Xp
Put your Vista DVD in your DVD Drive (and close any autorun)

Start->Run-> e:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force (replacing e: with the drive letter of your Vista DVD).
Restart the computer

Remove two files (Boot.BAK & Bootsect.BAK) on XP drive’s root folder (C: ), these were backup files of your previous bootloader, now no longer useful.

Reply back :)

I couldn't find the "bootsect.bak" file anywhere on my C drive, but I did the other two things you suggested and now the system boots straight into XP. Thanks a lot for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back