Dual monitor sound issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuneman202002

So I got a new video card, GeForce 210 DDR2 512 mb PCIs 2.0, to allow my computer to have two monitors since it's easier for my designing, but now my sound doesnt' work at all. On my built in AV card my monitor plug and sound plug do not respond at all, like they're not even there. I had to plug both monitors into the same card for it to work. I took my speakers to my mom's computer and determined they still worked and tried hers, which I knew worked on mine, but they still didn't work. When I went into the sound control panel it didn't even recongnize that there was a sound device attached.

Other system specs. HP pavalion a133on with an AMD 64 athalon processor, Windows XP, use IE 8.0.6001.18702IC and Firefox 3.6.3

Are there any sound settings in the Nvidia control panel? Are you running the latest video drivers from the Nvidia support website? Do you see any yellow exclamation marks in the Device Manager? If so, you may have what's called a IRQ (Interrupt Request) conflict

Take a look through DevMgr per Tmagic's post and could you also pls

Check Problem Devices report
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

The control panel only shows 3D settings, Display and Video. I don't see any yellow exclamation marks in my device manager. I thought I had the most recent updates, but just to be sure I went and downloaded them anyway. After I downloaded them there was no change.

Hmmmmm.....

/* edit */
If i'm interpreting things right
1. fyi... Hi Def audio requires two devices: a dedicated audio bus controller + an audio device that connects to the controller /* edit */ These are both chips on the sound card
2. Windows is seeing the controller but isn't seeing an audio device

1) Is there an HDMI port on your grahics card? or are the ports on your addon card iust VGA and/or DVI ports?
2) Check your BIOS. Make sure onboard sound isn't Disabled
3) Look through Add/Remove program to see if any sound program entries are there to first uninstall (IMPORTANT: If you see an entry for a Microsoft KB for Hi Def Sound do NOT uninstall it). You're only looking for any sound programs from a vendor. (if you want, you can post what you find before you uninstall it)
4) Then go to HP site to download and reinstall the sound drivers for your computer

/* edit */
Also, when you look in BIOS be sure to also try: toggle the onboard sound setting off/on and rebooting each time also

So you have an HDMI port on your new graphics card. Interesting....

Then here's what i think is going on (input from any others welcome as this is just my best guess)

1. You have an HDMI cabable graphics card
That means it should have its own video and sound hardware plus drivers so it can provide both video + sound signals over HDMI to your monitor (and any internal speakers for the monitor).
> Using the new graphics card, are you connecting over HDMI to your monitor? or DVI? or VGA?
> Normally, if you connect over HDMI, and have Windows audio playback set to your addon card, sound will only playback over the HDMI cable to the monitor so the monitor needs internal speakers
> /* edit */ Tho part of problem in your current situation is you have NO option to set Windows audio playback as it sees NO sound device
> HOWEVER, the headphone/speaker jacks on your computer should still work IF
===> a) Onboard sound is Enabled in your BIOS and
===> b) Windows audio playback is set to play via onboard sound

2. My guess is when your computer boots and detects the new graphics card it automatically disables your onboard graphics (which is why your old monitor ports won't work). However, this shouldn't automatically disable onboard sound

As to your sound problem:
I see 2 possible issues because you should be able to get sound from either the HDMI connection via your new graphics card OR the speaker jacks on your computer via onboard sound

So let's start by checking your BIOS see here. You'll find instructions about hitting F10 during bootup to see your BIOS settings menu. Look for the Onboard Audio option. How is it set??? Is it set to Auto? or Disabled? or something else? /* edit */ Don;t change anything other then Onboard Audio option

Also, when using the new graphics card: are you using a HDMI cable? or DVI or VGA connection?

I went into BIOS and checked my onboard sound, it was on auto so I switched it to enabled. I downloaded my sound drivers again, and restarted after each.

When using my new graphics card my monitors are connected by VGA and VGA adapted to the DVI slot. There wasn't a HDMI cable with my card, I don't believe I could use it anyway.

OK. Good. Hopefully, Windows should at least detect onboard sound hardware again

Click Ctrl Panel->Sound->Audio (see below)
> Do you see 0, 1 or 2 Sound playback devices listed in the pulldown list?
> Make sure it's set to onboard sound (since you don't want sound via HDMI)

If still a problem, pls rerun the Problem Device report and dxdiag again.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Fullscreen capture 6182010 75817 AM.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 6182010 75817 AM.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 3
Just purchased a Hf206 Monitor and I can't get the sound working, help
Hi benwatt3

fyi.. normally, is best and you should start your own thread for your own problem but since i saw your post we can continue here since tuneman202002's is done

You need to see this [post=894945]post[/post] and do as instructed.
> Also, i cant find anything about the monitor you posted. u sure the model is right?
> Also what type of cable connection(s) are you using? Is it HDMI or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back