Dual-screen, foldable ZTE Axon Multy to be an AT&T exclusive in October

Shawn Knight

Staff member

What’s better than a smartphone with a single screen? One with two, of course! That seems to be the reasoning behind a new device reportedly being developed by ZTE.

According to renowned product leaker Evan Blass, the Chinese telecommunications company is partnering with AT&T on a smartphone called the Axon Multy. The device, said to be similar in concept to the Kyocera Echo from several years back, will be a horizontal clamshell of sorts that folds along a vertical axis.

Blass, who has an excellent track record with regard to leaks, says it’ll feature individual 1,920 x 1,080 displays, one on the front and one on the back. The idea seems to be that you can use the device in its folded-up state as a regular smartphone then unfold it for tablet-style use.

When unfolded, the device will transform to have a screen measuring 6.8 inches diagonally. Even when folded, the phone will be relatively thin at less than 10mm. A Snapdragon 820 will reportedly power the experience alongside 4GB of RAM and 32GB of storage.

The Axon Multy will also include a 20-megapixel camera. The 3,120mAh battery sounds a little on the small side considering it’ll have to drive two displays but then again, they are lower-resolution screens.

No photos were provided although it’s hard not to conjure up images of T-Mobile’s original Sidekick… or a Nintendo DS… or a Microsoft Courier tablet.

ZTE’s creation will reportedly be sold for $650 and marketed primarily as a media consumption device.

Image courtesy Karlis Dambrans, Flickr

Permalink to story.

I've had phones from nearly every manufacturer and I have to say I really like the ZTE phones. I normally associate them with good Price:performance, but I'm happy they're trying something like this. I have to say they are more durable than any of the Samsung or LG phones I've had. I'm one of those people that goes through phones like crazy and ZTE phones have been fairly durable for me, I'm only on my second, LOL. The ZTE ZMax Pro. I'm one of those people that likes to buy their phones out right so I don't see it on my monthly bill. The ZTE prices have been really great for that.

That said I don't do anything on my phone aside from browse the internet, make calls, use the GPS and listen to music. All basic tasks on any phone these days.

I wouldn't get a Gen1 of these, but, I would LOVE to have a 4" screen "phone" that opens to an 8" smartphone/tablet.

Back