Duel Monitors freakout upon startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't shut down my PC in ages until last night when I needed to swap out a powerboard I no longer liked the look or sound of. The reason for this is it takes a minimum of 20mins and up to an hour to start it up and get both monitors running. Its probably a bad thing to have a PC running 24/7.

Symptoms at startup:

Initially both screens work showing the pretty vista button logo ladida, then after a pw is typed in suddenly my PC turns into a light show switching between 1, both or no monitors active. Its usually a case of needing quick reaction time to get into the NVIDIA control panel and re-check the boxes and assign primary monitor status back to the right monitor before it blanks out again. After several restarts, a series of "NVIDIA control panel is not responding" and a lot of frustration, eventually it will accept my changes and stop flashing teh screens at me.

My personal tech support guy (you know how everyone has that friend who a super nerd and your never really sure if your abusing teh friendship with the incessant cries for help when something isnt working right) responds to this question with "Its prolly dicking out cos they are two different brands". If thats teh case than baaah I need to spend monies.

I d/l that CPU-Z thingy to get this info, I assume its right. anything I missed lemme know.

Gigabyte Tech Co. Ltd EP43-UD3L
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
DDR2 4096 MBytes
IntelCore 2 Quad Q9550
1999.8MHz
Antec Signature 650W

Monitors:
Primary - BENQ E2420HD
Secondary - LG W2252TQ

did you replace the power supply or your motherboard. if it was the power supply then reinstall the old one to see if the problem is still there. if it was the motherboard you need to reinstall windows.

sorry, i meant a powerboard, the thing you can plug into a wall outlet to allow you to power four or more devices depending on the number of outlets on the board.

My PC was plugged into it along with both monitors and something else, so had to shut down PC in order to unplug the powerboard and dispose of it.
And this problem has been occuring since I bought the second monitor, long before i discovered teh faulty powerboard

(Maybe they are called something else outside Australia)

Driver updated to version 197.45.

Restarted and got the full light show again. Although this time its added cloning the screens to the repertoire of options it will switch to.

A mate has suggested my card is faulty. He said it should not be losing the settings every time I restart the PC.

Going to see if I can get hold of another card, swap it out and see if that's the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back