Duplicate Name Exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuant

Hello,

Being trying to figure this out

I have a machine with two nics using two different IP (one for 100mb and the other nicr gigabyte).
For example:
ComputerA ip is 10.10.10.10 (100mb) & 10.11.10.10 (gig).

DNS is setup as:
computera 10.10.10.10
computera-g 10.11.10.10

When using a second computer on that also on the same gig subnet, typing \\computera-g gives me two erros
1. No network provider accepted the given network path
2. You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network.

It works fine if I type just \\computera in RUN command.

Both machines are on the same domain.

Run CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloading
Before running, check: (tick the box) "DNS Cache"

You can also:
Start --> Run--> cmd /c ipconfig /all >Desktop\ipconfig.txt < ok>

And post the ipconfig.txt (on your Desktop) as an attachment
attach.gif
here

The Ethernet adapter HighSpeed (nicr gigabyte) doesn't have a default gateway
Confirm the other computer does not have 10.45.1.105 or 10.102.1.105 as the IP address

You can also run Netsetup on both computers

And run all these CMDs (Start > Run > CMD) on both computers: (Then Restart)
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset reset.log
netsh winsock reset
Not all commands will be successful

Yes, the gig does not have a gateway so its completely isolated. No other computers have the IP.
I tried your suggestion, neither works. Interestingly I can ping computera-g but \\computer-g from the run command does not work.

I cannot see where the duplicate IP is coming from
But I would suggest to check all computer have unique IP addresses (you have done this already)
It may even be worth changing all static IPs to be sequential like: 10.45.1.200 then 10.45.1.201 etc

Note: On XP its just a matter of running Netsetup, then confirming File and print sharing is enabled

In later versions of Windows it is the "Public folder" that needs to be shared in "Network and Sharing Center"
Youu may need to provide Account passwords too

Thanks, i can't seem to figure this one out as well. I'm confident all machines on the domain have a unique IP address.

I have a generic image which I use then after wards I change the hostname and IP accordingly before connecting to the network. You think this might be root cause?

It is not the IP address, it is the computer name, if you used an image, they both have the same computer name on the network causing the problem. You re load one and the problem goes away.

After loading an image, the hostname/computer is immediately changed including the SID so every computer has a unique name. The file server I'm trying to access (Windows 2003 svr) but can't was not created from image.

Ping computer-g resolves to the correct IP
Ping -a IP resolves to the correct host

however run => \\computer-g gives two errors mentioned above

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back