Dvd burner won't read new dvd

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a lite-on 1693s dvd burner. it will read older dvd's that have a smaller files size, but won't read the new dvd's with larger file size. i've upgraded the firmware and reinstalled but to no avail. any suggestions would be appreciated.

r. schram

There's a down right confusing number of different DVD standards and disc format variables that can vary between your DVD/CD drive and the disc media you happen to use which can result in incompatibilities.

Some DVD software comes with some varying type of tools.. but, overall, i still prefer/rely on DVDInfoPro to see just what's up with the media vs. what the drive will support. It has a 14day trial so you can see if it initially helps solve this issue as well

this is weird, 1 week trying to get it to read various store bought dvd's and still nothing. It will play the dvd if it is less than 4.5 gig but not if it has more. dvdinfo says it should be able to read dvd-rom dl. can't figure it out. set to region 1 and region control is rpc-2. any more advice would be appreciated. just ordered a new lg, hope that works.

r. schram

Ahhhh.. That's what you meant by the file size......

As you might now... DVDs have their data burned into the DVD surface. The the DVD surface would normally store 4.3GB of data and is sometimes referred to as DVD-5.

These days they can create a DVD which actually has two layers of data burned into a single side of the DVD holding up to 8.5GB and sometimes referred to as DVD9 or DL for dual layer.

Does DVDInfoPro say your drive can read DL formatted DVDs? (Look for DL on the Drive Read Features checklist)

supported read features are: cd-r,cd-rw,cd multiread,cd method 2, dvd-r,dvd-r dl,dvd-rw, dvd+r,dvd+r dl,dvd+rw, dvd-rom. thanks for the help by the way. this has got me stumped and frustrated. these are store bought dvd's by the way. some i assume are dl. I use them on my other computer and the ones that have 4 gigs and less play fine, but not the bigger sizes.

r. schram

Glad to help.. tho you've raised an interesting point i hadn't noticed before:
- DVDInfoPro lists DVD-ROM but doesn't distinguish between single or dual layer support for DVD-ROM

If you click on Media in DVDInfoPro you'll see media info about the DVD media inserted which should say DVD-ROM (if it's really recorded as DVD-ROM) and look for it to indicate Number of Layers, telling you 1 or 2 (of course, if you see it's greater then 4.3GB you'd expect 2 layers here)

You can also click the camera icon in DVDInfoPro to capture its current display and then you can save it for future reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back