DVD/CD-ROM issues

ruready2

Ok tech friends. I have one for ya. 10 points to the one who can solve this...lol. I have attached the system info.

I recently installed a Lite-on DVD/CD rom device (SATA). Every time I attempt to burn a disc I get and error at the conclusion of the process unless I am using Nero. I can burn using Nero with no problem. I called the tech store where I purchased the rom and we both decided this had to be an issue with the rom so I returned it in exchange for an LG. Well, no dice! Same error. I then removed the rom device from another computer (exactly like the first Lite-on with the exception that the one from the other computer is IDE). It works like a charm no matter what program I use to burn with. Put the SATA rom back in and same error. Here is the error;

Error flushing device cache while closing. Unknown error. 0x002000.

Ok the text file would not upload due to size. So I uploaded it to filemail.com. Link below;

http://www.filemail.com/dl.aspx?id=HGQJCYDQVRWXRTI

I'm sitting in the dark here, but do you have any newer firmware available for your optical drive?

Also, have you tried using the drive to burn the same thing using other software to see if the problem replicates itself? The reason I ask (and I'm sure you've figured out..) is because it could be Nero causing problems (working with the drive) rather than the drive itself.

Also, have you tried using the drive to burn the same thing using other software to see if the problem replicates itself?

Honestly not sure what you mean by that. I can tell you that I received the same error before installing Nero. I used the same mp3 file each time I attempted to burn. I have also attempted to update the drivers but, no new drivers were available.

Thanks for replying.

I'm sitting in the dark here, but do you have any newer firmware available for your optical drive?

Also, have you tried using the drive to burn the same thing using other software to see if the problem replicates itself? The reason I ask (and I'm sure you've figured out..) is because it could be Nero causing problems (working with the drive) rather than the drive itself?
1) I agree with Leeky. Have you looked for and loaded the latest firmware for the optical drive?
2) And what software does it fail with? (you only say it only works with Nero but don't say what's failing)
3) Also, see if this might apply [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post]
> The odd behavior you describe is consistent with a bad filter so is worth checking out above link
> Tho, of course, it may still be something other then filters

But it might just be a flaky filter for class=CDROM from Nero
> Windows would then apply this Nero filter to every CDROM (cuz they all share Class= CDROM)
> So a Nero filter for Class=CDROM is applied to all CDROMs regardless of what product is accessing the CDROM
> So is possible the CDROM filter interferes with other products you're using trying to burn to CDROM

I suggest try
1) Removng upper/lower CDROM filters (as guided by my link)
2) Uninstall Nero
3) Try your OTHER burning product. If still not work, uninstall/reinstall OTHER burning product (but NOT yet Nero)
4) If OTHER product is working now, you know Nero is to blame

If still fails... i dunno :(

OK here is what software we have tried. CdBurnerXp, ImageBurner, Video Converter, Nero and now LG Burning software. Now, get this, Nero and LG Burning software will both work. I have not had the time to try removing the filters yet but, will give that a shot. I am now being told by LG that it is a bad rom and by the computer store where I purchased the rom that some burner software is not compatible with roms that are connected via SATA.

Edit: The class=CDROM from Nero would make perfect sense to me. The only problem with that is the burner did not work prior to installing Nero. I will check and if necessary remove the filters a little later on when I have more time. Also, we did locate an update for the firmware. However, when attempting to install the drive we received the error to remove the disc from the drive. There was no disc in the drive....lol. Thanks for the replies. I knew I could get good suggestions from you two. I am really stumped and over my head here.

<snip>The class=CDROM from Nero would make perfect sense to me. The only problem with that is the burner did not work prior to installing Nero.<snip>

Ahhh.... OK.. If it had, in fact, turned out to be a Nero filter, it would be the "sweetest" solution as it would have fit all symptomatic pieces of the puzzle.. At the same time, i've still seen quirky behavior due to 3rd party filters (so might still be something not related to Nero but still just happens to work with Nero), so when you have the time is worth a shot to try .. tho of course no guarantee that will be "magic bullet"

But let us know whenever you do get to it :)

Honestly not sure what you mean by that. I can tell you that I received the same error before installing Nero. I used the same mp3 file each time I attempted to burn. I have also attempted to update the drivers but, no new drivers were available.

Thanks for replying.

You sort of answered my initial idea. Sorry for the confusion.

What I meant to say was:

Have you tried using another burning software to burn the disc. To see if it was Nero, or the drive - Though clearly from reading your other posts you have tried what I was suggesting.

But, I mis-read your first post, when you in fact said nero works but others don't.

Sorry for double post but to assure you see this added info:

One quick thing you can do (out of curiosity) but also at your leisure, to at least see what filters are currently installed at the moment (even before you try removing them sometime later)

> Download/run Filter Driver Load Order tool
> Select your CD/DVD in left pane
> Then click on the Clipboard button and paste the result back into your next post

Thanks again. and no problem Leeky.. If I had a dollar for everytime I ever misread a topic or post.. well, let's just say I'd have one nice gaming machine...lol. Even though I am not a gamer I like the power behind the wheel..lol. I will certainly try Filter Driver Load Order. Will this also give me the option to delete the filter or will I need to do it from the reg?

Ok I don't want to confuse the issues here but this is from another machine. I will run it on the problemed machine as soon as I am back to where the pc is.

----------------------------------------------------
Filter Driver Load Order http://www.bustrace.com

Upper Device Filter: redbook
Device Object: ATAPI iHAP222 9
Lower Class Filter: Afc
Lower Device Filter: imapi

Driver Name: redbook.sys
File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers
File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver
File Version: 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108) [5.1.2600.5512]
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.5512 [5.1.2600.5512]
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

Driver Name: afc.sys
File Description: Arcsoft(R) ASPI Shell
File Version: 1, 0, 0, 2 [1.0.0.2]
Product Name: Arcsoft(R) ASPI Shell
Product Version: 1, 0, 0, 2 [1.0.0.2]
Company Name: Arcsoft, Inc.

Driver Name: imapi.sys
File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver

I will certainly try Filter Driver Load Order. Will this also give me the option to delete the filter or will I need to do it from the reg?

The tool is for info display only. Follow the steps in the Guide which includes some automated tools that might also apply to your machine

/* edit */
Will have to wait and see the filter info for the machine in question.. but, just as an example, the data you provided for machine in your prior post shows that machine has a CDROM class filter installed from Arcsoft (whoever that is). Windows will apply the Arcsoft filter to the CD/DVD drivers on that machine for every CD/DVD device you connect on that machine

Which is why a single class filter can affect every device in that class AND it may work OK with some devices but not others.. but, of course, don't know if this is the problem on your machine or not. Windows and hardware provides for sooo many choices of possible things to go wrong! Ya gotta love the joys of computing, huh? :D :rolleyes:

Also, we did locate an update for the firmware. However, when attempting to install the drive we received the error to remove the disc from the drive. There was no disc in the drive....lol.
This is just a "shot in the darK" but after following the guide re: removing/fixing filters: Also try updating the firmware again... just cuz I know bad filters can also screw up sensing the CD/DVD disc correctly (you'll also see as the topic of an MS KB referenced in the Guide) so is at least worth a shot

Thanks LookinAround. I will be near the computer later today and will post the filters. I have no idea what the arcsoft filter in the text above is doing on my computer. I once installed arcsoft photo editor but, I do not believe that would have installed a filter for my cd rom device. I guess anything is possible with computers these days.

I have no idea what the arcsoft filter in the text above is doing on my computer. I once installed arcsoft photo editor but, I do not believe that would have installed a filter for my cd rom device.

Did your Arcsoft software allow you to burn slideshows and/or photos and stuff? And/or provide an interface to your burning software or CD/DVD?

In any case, that filter is from ArcSoft so for whatever unknown reason, Arcsoft wanted to be able to intercept every I/O request to any CD/DVD drive connected to that machine and did so using a Windows CDROM class filter.

/* edit */
just fyi.. note the distinction in the Filter Driver Load Order tool output between class filters vs. device filters
(Windows device drivers are "layered" so filters are add-on device driver components)
> A class filter is applied to every device driver for devices sharing that class
> While device filters are only applied to a specific device and its driver

Actually I think the software did have a slide show feature. Good catch.. It looks as if it may be tomorrow before I am able to get near the other machine. Thanks for your reply. Very informative. Would you recommend I delete the arcsoft filter and driver?

Ok sorry for the delayed reply. Here is the information from the problemed computer.

Filter Driver Load Order http://www.bustrace.com

Upper Device Filter: redbook
Device Object: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS50 SCSI CdRom Device
Lower Device Filter: imapi

Driver Name: redbook.sys
File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver

Driver Name: imapi.sys
File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver

OH!

Just happened to be online so quick feedback.. Doesn't appear there are any CDROM class filters on that machine.. you might still try the Guide to the extent of any MS Fixits that might apply, but no need to try regedits as no class filters to delete.

Will get back to later or tomorrow re: the Arcsoft stuff

Thanks for all the replies. Your help is greatly appreciated. The computer in question belongs to a family member. We have been pulling our hair out trying to resolve this. It appears, after extensive research, we are not the only ones with this problem. It also appears the error is limited to drives connected via SATA cable. Go figure!! Thanks again..

Thanks for all the replies. Your help is greatly appreciated. The computer in question belongs to a family member. We have been pulling our hair out trying to resolve this. It appears, after extensive research, we are not the only ones with this problem. It also appears the error is limited to drives connected via SATA cable. Go figure!! Thanks again..
1. Well, chalk another one up to the [post=913248]mysteries of those dang computers![/post]. Sorry turned out couldn't help (tho we did discover no CDROM class filters could possibly be involved as none installed on that machine)

2. Re: Arcsoft on your other machine
On the one hand, it's not clearly not hurting anything as is. (The existing Arcsoft "not needed" filter does cost a few but negligible number of CPU cycles on each CD/DVD driver call) On the other hand, you could remove it if you like. If you do
> Be sure to first create a System Restore point, just in case
> Edit the registry (per the guide) for the case of CDROM to find the upper filter registry key which should point to the Arcsoft driver
> Delete the key. I'd simply rename the Arcsoft driver file for now. Delete in a bit later

Happy Computing!

Here is something from left field and may not solve anything but are your SATA controllers set to AHCI mode? If so, did you install the latest full SATA driver (as opposed to the small floppy driver at F6)?

Thanks for the replies. I suppose I will just leave the driver filter for now. As you note it's not really hurting anything.
@malipup I just recently built the computer and used the mobo disc for the drivers so, I assume they are fairly up-to date. I will check to make sure the settings are AHCI but, I am pretty sure they are.

Again, thanks for all the help.

I don't think you stated but any chance your m/b uses the nVidia chipset?

Note this might be a red herring (as i took a very quick skim through thread) Error Flushing Device Cache Error & Locked Tray. Seems there are some eerily simliar situations (at least where CDBurnerXP fails yet Nero works) and i think a couple who fixed their problem related it to the nVidia chipset.

But, again, i'll warn i took just a quick skim. I'll let you look closer if you want to see if any cases relate at all to your situation

Back