DVD Decrypter!

Hi,

Every time I make a file from a DVD, copy the file to a USB stick and then delete the file I loose 2GB of memory from my computer.

Does anyone know why this is the case?

Thanks a lot for taking time to look at this for me.

Shiv

What shows up, size-wise, on the flash drive?

It might be useful to know your computer brand, model, and configuration, including OS.

Hi,

The size of the file is about 6GB that is removed to the flash drive.

Before I make the decrypt the DVD my storage on the laptop is 318GB.

After the file is created and removed, the memory is reduced to 316GB for some reason.

I have a Sony Vaio (VPCEB1SOE) with Windows 7.

Do you need anymore information?

Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering if another file is being created somewhere else on the laptop that I should remove in additional to the video file that is created.

Cheers

Ah, the memory part was confusing. You're disk space is being reduced during this process which is different than saying your memory is being reduced. Most people think of system ram when you say "memory".

It could be a temporary file being stored somewhere but it's really hard to say. If you reboot the machine does the disk space go back up to what you would expect or is the 2GB of space still "missing"?

Is this machine running either Vista or Windows 7 with "memory boost" enabled? Because you'll lose that memory capacity when you unplug the flash drive.

Sorry, you are right. I did mean disk space.

When I reboot the system it does not show up.

I tried searching all files on the laptop to see if there any large files that I did not recognise. There were none. I used the search term *.* and revealed all hidden files.

Thanks

captaincranky - do you mean ready boost?

It is not enabled on the flash drive.

Thanks all for your help, much appreciated.

Er yeah, I did mean "ready boost". You could try running "disc clean", or downloading "CCleaner". That might point out any temp files being created during this process.

I like to do things the hard way, so I might allow DVD Decrypter to save the file to the HDD, then use the right click, "send to" command to copy it to the USB drive, and delete the original file.

Just out of idle curiosity, if you created another file with DVD Decrypter, would you lose another 2GB of disc space?

Hi captaincranky,

I tried it twice more. The first time I did it, the original disk space actually returned to normal. The second time it went down again. It is really strange.

Back