DVD drive & a few other problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I hope I'm putting this in the right spot... I don't wanna have to make a buncha topics and add to the overall clutter/congestion. Pardon my general lack of knowledge, you'd think that after using computers for the last 15+ years I'd have figured out more of the lingo or actual, you know, general computer literacy or something.. just browsing this forum makes my head spin. (lol)

1) My DVD-ROM drive has been acting strangely the last couple days. It suddenly stopped reading certain DVDs (such as the Call of Duty 4 disc) which had worked fine just a day or two before this started happening. At first I thought it was busted in general, but I can still get various CD's and DVD's to work on it, but not ALL of the stuff I used to be able to run with it. The discs are clean and fine insofar as I can tell, so I don't think that's the issue, either.

Lemme see if I can figure out what kinda drive this is... JLMS DVD-ROM LTD-166S. No idea what that really means.

2) Recently my moniter's been acting weird (I shouldn't say moniter but I don't know how else to describe it). Occasionally it will flash to black for a split second and then act normally again. Sometimes my icons suddenly stop working (and are replaced by the general "unidentified" icon that Windows likes to throw at everything, or sometimes the icons vanish altogether (save for the little "shortcut" symbol).

Possibly being caused by the same issue, sometimes the tops of.. gods what is the right word.. the various windows everything is in where it has stuff like "TechSpot OpenBoards - Mozilla Firefox" and such in. Those sometimes become transparent, and around that time the computer likes to lock-up or slow to a crawl and I have to inevitably restart the computer.

3) Possibly related to #1, there is an error listed in my Device Manager in the SCSI/RAID controller section. A8304WI1 IDE Controller with the error "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)". However, as I haven't the slightest idea what means (I tried looking it up, no results connected to that IDE Controller) I am unable to figure out exactly what to do regarding it. But regardless, I first noticed this when I was looking into the DVD-ROM not working properly though it could have been there longer.

As a result of the above, when I tried to install the driver update for Silicon Image Sil 3112 SATALink Controller it started giving me a message saying error could not complete or something, and pointed back to that device with the error. I am indeed using a DAEMON virtual drive, but I've been using it for some time now so I don't know why the error would be popping up only now. I don't even remember how I installed it, I'm kind of afraid to uninstall it at this point.

EDIT: Unrelated, but I fixed my profile so hopefully the information is correct in there and can help if it's pertinent to the help I get. I'd also like to extend a premature thanks to anyone who does actually offer me help on this, as I know you all have lives and such, too.

I don't really like bumping this but.. is anyone willing to help me out here? Still haven't resolved these issues. Well except for the missing icons, they've reappeared, but there's nothing to say it won't happen again. Still get the Black Screen once in a while though. It's just a split second occurance where it will flicker once or twice then it stops.

Years ago this was a prelude to me having to get a new Graphics Card but I can't imagine the one I have now is dying already... I don't exactly put it through the paces or anything.

See if this might apply [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post]. Follow the instructions and apply for both your disk and DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back