DVD drive won't write

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdsterling

As this is my premiere speech, I shall try to be brief:

My area of expertise in computers is concentrated in the keyboard. I am only a bare novice or advanced newbie on hardware. Recently, I added an IDE PCI controller card and second hard drive, as I have lots of data I want to store. Works Fine!!!

However, my DVD drive has gone wonky. I can read DVDs, I can read CDs, but I can't write DVDs, and I want to back up my system! :mad:

To try to answer questions which might be asked, its a generic clone with 512 MB of memory (working on that) and when I look at the system, for the hard drive it says, "HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H455N SCSI CdRom Device". It says LG on the outside.

Can someone help me figure this out?

making progress with DVD burner, I think

Thanks!!! :grinthumb Nothing cheers me up like spot-on advice, except that it didn't move me very far. I downloaded the recommended software, with the following result: nine read capabilities and eight write capabilities were checked. That's good, right?

I am using Nero Express, which came with the drive and a disk marked DVD-R. I choose DVD, choose make data disk, add a folder (good sized folder), finish, Next I edited the disk title, Burn. I get a message saying, Generate ISO Names, then Checking Disks, and that's when it gets into a loop and goes no further.

If you can get me burning, I have a pound of Russell Stover's right here which I can upload to any address on the planet. Thanks in advance (again)

9579am_th.jpg

Thanks.

The 9 Read and 8 write, are basically perfect :grinthumb

Therefore it's likely that the problem lies in your Nero program
To actually confirm this beyond a shadow of a doubt, you can burn blank discs using Windows built in burning capabilities. To do this:
  • Place a new bank writable disc in the DVD Writer
  • Close any pop up window
  • Open "My Computer"
  • Double click to open your DVD Drive
  • This will open a blank folder (if you see please insert a disk error goto Note: below then return here)
  • Drag some data files to the blank DVD folder
  • Select "Burn these files to disk"
  • Give it any Disc name (ie test)
  • Burn

Note:
The built in Windows burning service can be disabled by installing 3rd party writing software
  • Under this condition, click on Start->Run-> Services.msc
  • Maximize the Services window
  • Scroll down to "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service"
  • Double click on it, to open it
  • In the middle of the window, you should see "Startup Type"
  • Use the drop down window, and select Automatic, then select Apply
  • Select "Start" button
  • Select Ok
  • Close the Services window

If it still does not burn:
  • Confirm that you have your Nero software
  • Go to Add/Remove programs in Control Panel
  • Locate Nero, and select un-install
  • Restart
Test using the Windows burning service (refer above, blank disc in, My Computer...)

If it still does not burn: !
  • Click on Start -> Run -> devmgmt.msc
  • Click on the plus + sign on DVD/CD Rom Drives
  • Right click on your DVD labelled drive
  • Select un-install
  • Ok
  • Restart
  • Allow Windows to automatically find and set up the DVD Writer
Test using the Windows burning service (refer above, blank disc in, My Computer...)

If it still does not burn: !!
It is most likely you have a faulty DVD Writer
You can either test in another computer (internal hardware experience required)
Or have it replaced

If it does work !
  • Re-install Nero
  • Do a test data burn
  • All should be now Ok

Phew! Now, where's my chocolate? :)

Wow - what a lot of work

You do realize that, karma-wise, I will have to help the next ten people who come to me, whining that it hurts when they put their hand above their head (solution: don't do that).

Many, many grateful thanks :grinthumb for taking so much time with me and my problem; it appears that what I feared, the disk drive is faulty, although I can't see how it can be good one day and faulty the next, any more than I can see how software can work one day and not the next, but that's not the issue here.

I wish I could say I dropped the drive on the floor, or was holding onto a 34,500 kv transmission line when I moved it, but I didn't and I wasn't. Guess this is just the Sterling Curse in action (you've heard of Murphy's Law? stolen from my family) :suspiciou

I was bidding on a drive on e-bay last night, but was beat out - have to get back to doing that, and again thanx - BTW, you didn't give me the URL to upload your chocolate to :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back