DVD-RW drive problem under Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

Hello. I've had this problem on this system for a while now, but I never thought about fixing it...

Here's the problem: Whenever I put a CD or DVD into either DVD drive, the drive reads the CD and Windows freezes. It stays frozen until I do a hard reset. On other OSes (The only other one I've been able to test is the Puppy Linux LiveCD), both drives work perfectly. The drive also works before Windows starts, and I am able to use bootable CDs. The question is, barring a Windows XP reinstall, is there any way I can fix this problem? For more information, I use Nero 7.5 (I think) as my main CD burning program, and I also have some Lightscribe programs installed on there (The HP DVD-Burner also has Lightscribe built in), Alcohol 120%, and Daemon Tools. For information about my system, it's system #2 in my profile. Thanks for your time.

You can try an uninstall it/them in the device manager. Windows should recognize them on the next reboot.

If you have autoplay enabled, perhaps disabling it will allow you to just access the CD/DVD manually and not freeze?

Just throwing random stuff out there...

Would definitely try removing Daemon Tools. And also [post=729301]See this post to remove your upper and lower CD/DVD filters[/post] Bad / corrupt filters can also cause a variety of problems.

I;d try removing them both before and after uninstalling Daemon Tools

Doesn't Alcohol offer a similar feature to Daemon tools? Might want to ensure that it too is either uninstalled or disabled.

Uninstallling Nero didn't help either...

Thanks for the utility! The only filters I have installed are the ones for Redbook audio and the Imapi Kernel driver for both drives...Should there be anything else there?

Here are the text files with the information requested. Additionally, I added the information for the two virtual drives present in the system (They're Alcohol 120% virtual drives).

Thanks will take a look. Also, i forgot to ask..

Check if Windows reports any problem devices
  • First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post

Problem with dvd-drive

I have a pioneer dvd-rw drive. Been working really good until last night. Been burning movies and put a new disc in. Now it reads cd-drive, so can't burn a dvd. I tried numerous times with new dvd-r's with the same problem. I open up properties and says cd drive. I had this problem a long time ago but somehow I fixed it or it fixed itself. Any help would be grateful. have a good day and thank ahead.

Hi greatman05

I don't think (not 100% for certain) you should need other filters. But most important (what i was checking for) was that the filters you DO show are showing the correct info.

And i assume these are the only 2 you also see when you view the GUI interface and click the CDDVD device?

Anything ever show up in Problem devices?

muzickman:
You'd be best to start a new thread for your own problem. But I'd also suggest you check for Problem Devices (per instructions in prior post in this thread) and include that info in your new post in a new thread

Okay, the only thing I could find under problem devices is this entry:

Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter ROOT\NET\0001 This device is disabled.

Could this be why the DVD-RW drives don't work?

The devices I see in the My Computer interface are my hard drive, the two physical DVD-RW drives, and the two virtual DVD drives created by Alcohol 120% (I disabled it and it had no effect on making the drives work).

Hmm....

just looked it up, and the device you see is a network adapter so shouldn't be related to your problem.

Also, i understand your CD/DVD's to both be internal, right? or maybe i forget something in your thread?

I'm just about stumped. Short of attempting the repair install (i.e. repair Windows but should leave your data alone) only other thing that comes to mind:

1. Uninstall Alcohol any and everyother CD/DVD software you have installed
2. Then i'd boot into SAFE mode
3. Remove the CD/DVD filters again
4. Set Device Manager to show non-present devices. Uninstall your CD/DVD's
6. Reboot and see if any diff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back