DVI adapter does not fit in DVI port on monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought an adapter to convert component video to DVI so I could plug my Xbox 360 into the back of my monitor to use that instead of TV. So I got this DVI plug and I plugged the male ends of the component into the back of this Component to DVI adapter and then tried plugging it into the DVI port on the back of my monitor, for some reason though, it doesn't work, as in it doesn't fit in there. I know it's a female end on the monitor because I'm using it right now for my PC, but why would it not fit into it, half of it the adapter fits in so I know it's the female end. Is there more than one type of DVI port out there with different amounts of pins meaning they'd fit in specific DVI ports?

If I can't do that, for whatever reason, would it be possible to just plug it the back of my graphics card and run it through my hardware instead, because I've got an extra DVI slot available?

You would need an active adapter or KVM switch. The problem lies in the fact that the component out is analog only signal which isn't compatible with DVI-D (Digital only input).
Do you have an HDMI out on the XBOX ? If so then a simple HDMI to DVI-D cable is your best (and cheapest) option.

My monitor does have a VGA port as well, so I won't need that, but I do see that they make VGA cables for the XBox so I guess I could get one of those. Thanks for the help though. Next time I decide to do something of this sort I'll do a bit more research before-hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back