DVI Issues, could really use some help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, I am trying to run a DVI line through my basement. One of the cables seems to be giving me a problem, but I sent it back, it was tested, and deemed "fine".

The parts I have are a Tower with DVI-I dual output.
2x DVI-D Single cables
1x DVI-I Dual cable
2x DVI couplers
Monitor with DVI-D input

The DVI-Ds coupled together work fine
I have been told the DVI-I cable is fine
... but any combination I try that makes use of the DVI-I does not work.

I just drew up a fantastic picture in paint for another forum, so maybe it will help explain the issue.

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/simplydemented1/?action=view&current=DVIIssues.jpg
(wont let me post links because im new, theres a space in the htt p)

I have been having issues with this for about a month now. Anyone have ANY idea why this wont work?

I know digital signal fades after a certain distance, and this setup is about 30 feet... but I have read that I should still get a picture at that distance, it may just lose some quality.

stupidity on my part.

I am trying to link this up to my tv with ultramon, and I had a similar setup awhile ago that made use of DVI going about 25ft. I read online that DVI can get up to 30 feet before losing quality, so coupled with my TV experience, I figured the distance couldn't be the issue.

What I failed to realize is the maximum resolution for that distance w/o losing quality is 1280x1024. My tv is 1280x720 and my monitor is 1680x1050.

Long story short, by testing on my monitor i was losing the quality at around 15feet (cables add up to ~30) so nothing was coming through. By dropping my resolution down to the same as the tv, I got picture with no problems. :)

Thanks for posting your solution - hopefully if someone else stumbles upon this thread in the future this can provide them some assistance.

What gauge wire? I think if you can get down to like 22 you'll go further. If you are using 26 or 28 I can see how this would happen. Might be worth looking into, monoprice.com sells them cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back