DVI Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the computer -

Asus A8R32-MVP (newest bios release)
CPU - Opty 180 (Toledo core) OC'ed 10%
2X's ATI X1900's in crossfire (stock bios and speed)
Monitor - BenQ FP222W H 22 inch
Win XP sp3
Cat's 9.3

Problem:

The computer & monitor using DVI to DVI has been working great for about 2 years, since I put it together. No major hardware issues at all. About a week ago though, The computer stopped sending a signal to the monitor, just out of the blue with no changes to the system at all. DVI to vga works, but the same old flicker came back (I think that cable became screwed up somehow from my old system). DVI to HDMI works - but for some strange reason I think the video drivers then pick up that its not a computer monitor, (although ccc still picks up on its manuf. and modle number) but a TV, as the options in CCC change to DTV, resolutions and refresh rates change to modes the monitor cannot support. And even at 1680X1050 which is the monitors max res at it's only possible refresh rate (60hz) the screen still blurs badly. And if I enable crossfire, the only resolution available is strangely is 1280 X 720, totally distorting even just pictures.

I take it that it's not a problem with the computer, as the DVI still works to vga and hdmi - just not correctly in either circumstance.

I know HDMI IS DVI just with sound, so why do the drivers act so differently (and not in a good way) with the change?

and anyone else have such an out of the blue dvi to dvi meltdown? No jostling, no moving around of any kind beforehand to knock lose a solder- just "no signal" on every startup ..

thanks

Have you tried attaching your monitor and/or PC to another monitor and/or PC via DVI/DVI? Maybe your cable is defective? If available, have you tried using a different DVI port on the video card/monitor?

heya, well when this monitor (I thought) went, 1'st thing I did was hook up my old crt and it was fine. The crossfire ed. card has 1 cf port and another dvi port. Tried just the dvi port and the dvi-dvi cable still didnt work. I then hooked the Lcd to another tower and it still didnt work - so yes, I do hope its the cable, if not - its the dvi port on the monitor. It was working fine for a long time, its strange.

I do need order another dvi-dvi cable - that's for sure on the list, - but hypothetically - I do have a dvi-hdmi cable, if hdmi is dvi without the audio - I wonder why that isnt working correctly either, my dumbarse wanted to try that route 1'st thinking why waste time/ money tring to get another dvi-dvi cable if a soldering in the dvi on the monitor went, when I can use the hdmi port ...

at least I dug up an old dvi-vga adapter which solved the flicker problem on the d-sub port on the monitor, so for now at least the problem isnt noticable anymore while doing everyday tasks.

just a little update, got another dvi-dvi cable, still didnt work. like 50 dollars in cables and its the monitor. Good news is, I bought it from a "smaller" computer store. They gave me the number for the repair shop because the monitor auctually has a 3 year warrenty on only defective parts of course. They are even comming to my house to pick up the monitor. Impressed I am, just hope Im not on my old CRT for too long ....

been looking around this site and many others - it does seem dvi ports are not the most dependable way to send a signal to your monitor ....

...been looking around this site and many others - it does seem dvi ports are not the most dependable way to send a signal to your monitor ....

I have to disagree, I would much rather use the Digital ports over the Analog ports; it really depends on the video card and monitor... not the tech itself. Of course HDMI is superior to both in most cases but overall the DVI interface is quite reliable when it comes to video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back