EA exec: Mass Effect: Andromeda was criticized more than it deserved, series could return

midian182

Staff member

We all know that Mass Effect: Andromeda didn’t turn out to be the legendary gaming experience many expected, but was some of the criticism undeserved? EA executive vice president Patrick Söderlund thinks so, and added that it might even return one day.

Andromeda was almost universally panned on its release, partly thanks to its numerous bugs. While BioWare did release patches that fixed almost all of the issues, many players still found the game sat somewhere between ‘below average’ and ‘just okay.’ Love it or hate it, most agree that Andromeda struggled in the shadow of the legendary trilogy that preceded it.

"I usually don't do this, but this is one of those places where I feel like the game got criticised a little bit more than it deserved," Söderlund said in an interview with GameReactor. "I think the game is actually a great game. Yes, we have to acknowledge the fact that there were some things that maybe we could have done better, absolutely, but as a whole, if you go in and you buy the game today with everything that's in it today, I believe that that's a game worth buying, personally."

Following Andromeda’s disappointing reception, it was believed that EA had called time on the Mass Effect series. BioWare’s announcement earlier this week that it would no longer be supporting the single-player element of Andromeda with patches or new content came as more bad news. There’s also the fact that the game’s developer, BioWare Montreal, has been turned into a support studio. But Söderlund explained that despite all this, the franchise isn’t dead.

“I’ve seen people saying ‘Oh, EA’s not making another Mass Effect’. I see no reason why we shouldn’t come back to Mass Effect,” he said. “Why not? It’s a spectacular universe, it’s a loved [series], it has a big fanbase, and it’s a game that has done a lot for EA and for BioWare.”

Söderlund did warn, however, that the company needs to be “careful,” and make sure it only brings back Mass Effect in a relevant and “fresh, exciting place.”

If another Mass Effect game is eventually announced, expect to be waiting quite a while before getting to play it. BioWare will be concentrating on the release and support of Anthem in the near-future, and Dragon Age 4 will likely be its next big project after the multiplayer title.

Permalink to story.

This reminds me of the scene in Glengarry Glen Ross where the sales rep walks into the lead's house and tries to pitch real estate while adamantly denying trying to sell it.

It didn't work there either.

Before small monologue I got really good LOL at "patches that fixed almost all issues". Company without proper support forum is not a company at all...

I'm all for it as long as it will be created by people who know the Universe, not just some random guys who were ordered to do the stuff. Make no mistake, I'm ME junkie from top to bottom, on average I think about it every 7 seconds to paraphrase old rugby saying. MEA is OK, but its completely trashed by THE Trilogy.

Classic example with how clueless was dev team behind Andromeda is simple case of ship name. In ME2 and 3 there was Tempest SMG. Because in Andromeda Tempest is name of the ship it was decided to change gun name to Charger... What?!

To be honest with next possible ME game either they should return to Milky Way to keep the story interesting or start from the scratch with new Andromeda but this time done freaking right and not on Frostbite. Just don't..

"series could return" -- Screw that! Damage done, their true colors shown. ea is now truly dead to most of us. Cant wait to delete whOrigin forever soon.

"It’s a spectacular universe, it’s a loved [series], it has a big fanbase, and it’s a game that has done a lot for EA and for BioWare.” -- lol Was, was, did, and true, yet they shat on everything! Got criticized more than it deserved?? Go to the proverbial hell, jerk!

And thanks so much for failing to fix the major glaring bug of losing game audio during multiplayer. Yeh, lets try Anthem next.......

Crikey, aside from some questionable voice acting, I didn't find it to be all that bad. In terms of combat its significantly more entertaining, and the story line is more interesting than most of the crap released these days. It definitely does not live up to the hype, but people gotta stop being so butt hurt and just enjoy what's there, and hope they don't make the same mistakes next time around. Can't be doing with those weird sounding Krogans and Salarians.

Back