EA is bringing its game subscription service to Steam on August 31

Polycount

Staff
In context: Electronic Arts and Valve don't usually get along, but in recent months, tensions between the two competing game companies have begun to cool. EA has brought several of its previously Origin-exclusive titles to Valve's digital storefront, Steam, and a few days ago, we learned that it will be doing the same thing with its EA Play subscription service.

Now, we know exactly when that's happening: come August 31, EA fans can pay $5 a month to gain unlimited access to a massive library of the company's games; including Battlefield V, Star Wars: Battlefront II, The Sims 4, Titanfall, and much more.

EA Play is already available on Origin for PC players (as well as the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 for console gamers), but its expansion to Steam should make it considerably more accessible.

We're not entirely sure how EA's subscription service will interact with Steam's library and store systems. After all, most Steam games are one-time purchases, and once you acquire a game, it remains in your library forever, unless you refund it. It'll be interesting to see how the platform adapts to accommodate EA Play, and perhaps other similar services in the future.

The version of EA Play that will be coming to Steam in a couple weeks is reportedly the standard edition of the service. There's a higher-tier, $15/month "EA Play Pro" variant that removes many of the base subscription's restrictions (such as playtime limits on new games), but it will still be exclusive to Origin.

With that in mind, EA's decision to port EA Play to Steam is a wise marketing move. It will let Steam's userbase get a taste of what the service has to offer, but if they want the full Pro experience, they'll have to move to Origin, which is all the better for EA.

Permalink to story.

I still can't get the updated Steam UI to run well since they forced it out last October. Why would I trust Steam to get this service right if almost a year later the UI still lags, crashes, hangs, fails to launch games and the overall UI is a game glorified social media site now that just shoves things in your face every chance they get.

I have no respect for Valve and what they offer and how they treat their customers with a broken UI that still hasn't been fixed for many people.

If I wanted to use EA's pay subscription, I sure as hell wouldn't do so under Steam. I personally won't support Valve until they fix the broken UI issues. I'd much rather take my money to the source and deal with Origin.

I still can't get the updated Steam UI to run well since they forced it out last October. Why would I trust Steam to get this service right if almost a year later the UI still lags, crashes, hangs, fails to launch games and the overall UI is a game glorified social media site now that just shoves things in your face every chance they get.

I have no respect for Valve and what they offer and how they treat their customers with a broken UI that still hasn't been fixed for many people.

If I wanted to use EA's pay subscription, I sure as hell wouldn't do so under Steam. I personally won't support Valve until they fix the broken UI issues. I'd much rather take my money to the source and deal with Origin.
I, in my experience, haven't encountered any issue with the new UI, neither bugs (maybe you have a corrupt installation?) or problems to use it
And the good part of Steam is all of the Proton, steam controller (being the best controller software avaible), and part of the customization

But try in Steam settings > Library > Low Performance Mode (Names may differ as I have Steam on Spanish and idk the english UI)
Can also set Steam to open on library and not store, or use GOG Galaxy 2.0 (Yes, I know is another software more)

Subscription services come and go and this one will be no different. Gamer's haven't figure out that the more they participate, the worse it gets. These companies are nothing more than leach's that feed off the consumer.

I, in my experience, haven't encountered any issue with the new UI, neither bugs (maybe you have a corrupt installation?) or problems to use it
And the good part of Steam is all of the Proton, steam controller (being the best controller software avaible), and part of the customization

But try in Steam settings > Library > Low Performance Mode (Names may differ as I have Steam on Spanish and idk the english UI)
Can also set Steam to open on library and not store, or use GOG Galaxy 2.0 (Yes, I know is another software more)

I've had issues across 3 different computers I've tried the new Steam UI on. All three are of different configurations in hardware and OS (two were Win 10 and one was Win 7). Setting changes made no difference, still plagued with problems.

Steam crashes, issues getting games to launch when clicking on Play and a slew of other issues. It's not just one system and it's not just one person with issues, many people still have problems with it.

I haven't bothered with Steam in almost 3 months now. My younger brother still uses Steam and he said he's still having issues with it lagging, going from the store to his library the UI screen goes black, random crashing and so on.

I use GoG Galaxy 2.0 without issues. I don't bother with any game that requires Steam to launch because I don't even want that shotty software on my computer. I play games on GoG, Uplay, Origin and good old fashion install off DVD/CD.

Once my brother confirms he no longer has issues running Steam on his system, then I'll give it a try again. Until then, they can keep their social media wannabe bloated software that runs like crap.

Back