EA's Origin digital platform surpasses 5 million daily users

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Electronic Arts’ Peter Moore has revealed that the company’s digital distribution platform Origin has surpassed 5 million daily users in just four and a half months. Moore also makes some bold predictions about where he sees EA in the next five years.

EA launched Origin at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in June as a key rival to Valve’s Steam storefront. The service garnered much attention as it was revealed that Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO would be an Origin digital exclusive. Furthermore, Battlefield 3 will require EA’s Origin service regardless of where you buy it, including retail.

Origin hit the 4 million user mark just last month before opening the beta for Battlefield 3. In addition to Star Wars which is scheduled to launch on December 20, the service has two other big launch titles in the pipeline. The next iteration of The Sims and Mass Effect 3 will likely drive plenty more users to EA’s digital storefront.

Short-term goals include continuing to work on Origin to make it really enhance and complement the game experience, not get in the way of it.

As for what the future holds, Moore believes EA will be one of the few video game companies that recognized and went along with trends in the marketplace. The EA of the future will be a company that is almost completely digital; the packaged goods distributor will largely be a vision of the past.

Permalink to story.

For real? 5 million? That's more then Steam which has around 3.5Mill daily. Still prefer Steam over Origin.

Considering EA doesn't give you an option if you want to play one of their games now, the user numbers they post can be considered 'under duress'. Looking forward to the first lawsuit involving someone suing over EA's attempts to supercede an individuals constitutional rights.

They found the best opportunity they could ever have to start their new client. It's called "Battlefield 3".

Personally, as a user, I feel they exploit it heavily, but anyway. It's normal. If I was EA, I'd do the same.

Good catch ChrisG683. 5 million online sounded a little on the outlandish side...

EA's Origin digital platform surpasses 5 million forced registered users. - Fixed that for ya Moore.

Guest said:
Looking forward to the first lawsuit involving someone suing over EA's attempts to supercede an individuals constitutional rights.

Are you referring to the ToS? Pretty sure the recent atrocious SCOTUS decision covers them much to my dismay. And unfortunately EA isn't the only one that will be changing their ToS.

I still prefer to buy my games on disc. Digital downloads should complement physical copies not replace them. As for Origin I think the previous posts said it best: those 5 million accounts are registered user accounts.

Damn suits.

haha, only reason its 5mill its because EA forcing us to play BF3 trough origin... put BF3 back on steam and EA will lose its 5 million registers :p

artix said:
For real? 5 million? That's more then Steam which has around 3.5Mill daily. Still prefer Steam over Origin.
No. You're not comparing the same statistics. Steam averages 3.5+ Million online at any given moment. Daily stats would be in the tens of millions no doubt. Steam at this very moment has 3.73 million online. Origin is saying throughout a day 5 million log on. That is impressive but still nothing compared to Steam, which is to be expected.

Yeah like people have already mentioned the 5 million in a day could be correct but the total max number of concurrent users I reckon is going to be much much less. Steam get around 3.8million concurrent users but an average day based on http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ shows they actually have around 12million total in a day

Steam is still my fav, but Origin seams so fresh and appealing to browse. Browse all of 10 or so games that is.

Over a year ago i was wanting BF3 and not MW3, but bit by bit i completly lost interest in BF3.

Forced Origin, constant changes in the TOS, Battlelog site needed to run the game, some EA games not been able to register on Origin, all the excuses EA have given about steam, all the bickering towards MW3, etc. etc.

Im now looking foward to MW3 thanks to EA's actions.

5 million users play some EA game which forces you to connect to Origin, so they are not really using Origin per se. Meanwhile millions actually choose to use Steam every day.

There aren't 5 million registered users.
Origin released 5 seconds ago.

This is a spam story created by EA to gain recognition and interest.
I wish they would have worked with steam instead of against them.

Steam presently has 35 million active user accounts, so Origin still has a long way to go to catch up. It's definitely a good start though.

Origin isn't all that bad and I think its been great that EA started this service up. Its competition folks...which is good, mmm'kay? Overall the BF3 experience has been reasonably sound and the Battlelog is not an EA deal...its Dice's. So far, its had a fairly good launch all things considered.

Back