Edge of Nowhere Review

Julio Franco

Staff member

Your head controls the camera floating just behind 1920s adventurer Victor Howard, star of the new virtual reality Antarctic action game Edge of Nowhere. The white wilderness is all around you.

You control Victor with a controller that you cannot see, because you play this game with the Oculus Rift VR headset strapped to your face. You push Victor forward with a tilt of the analog stick and make him leap, icepicks drawn, toward the side of a glacier. As he clings there, you can tilt your head down. You won’t see your living room floor. You’ll see the chasm below. You can look up and see the big sky above.

You’re not simply playing a game like Uncharted or Tomb Raider. You’re inside of one.

Read the complete review.

Yeah, the price has to come way down for the average gamer to invest in it ..... but it looks cool. Now the question is, how many neck and spine injuries are going to be caused by this? Back in the 70's when most young men had their hair long, they had the habit of flicking their hair back out of their eyes by snapping the head to either side, which for many to have a form of whiplash. The temptation of these new goggles may cause some of the same issues, especially if games include "things" coming from one side or the other and the viewer attempts to see the entire 360 degree horizon. Only time will tell ......

Why do they keep releasing games for VR that are 3rd person games where all you do is control the camera with your head? Why not allow us to see through the characters eyes? This is what Virtual reality should be geared towards or at least that how I feel about it... Either way I hope they end up releasing this on Steam after their exclusive deal with Oculus runs out as I'd probably pick it up for 15 bucks on sale to use with my Vive.

Why do they keep releasing games for VR that are 3rd person games where all you do is control the camera with your head? Why not allow us to see through the characters eyes?
The major issue I've seen with 1st person perspective is dizziness. Getting a proper height for where your eyes are and a field-of-view that feels natural is hard and if not done carefully can compound the issue. Most 1st person games wrap a cage or cockpit around the player, so they have a solid foundation to help the player's inner-ear match better with what their eyes are telling them, but that cockpit solution only works with a few genres such as racing, spaceships, etc. True 1st person free movement creates a chasm between what you are seeing and what your balance is telling you, unless the game is very slow paced. I'm sure with practice players can get used to it, like astronauts after some training, but game developers don't want to risk it currently, especially when VR is brand new.

Back