Electric scooters are injuring thousands of people each year

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Electric scooters are a trendy way for individuals to zip around a city, often times at speeds of up to 15 mph. Rental start-ups make them virtually effortless for anyone to acquire and attractive rates only add to the allure. What isn’t readily evident to some riders, however, is the inherent dangers associated with e-scooter usage, especially for newcomers and those without a helmet.

To better gauge the issue, Consumer Reports recently contacted 110 hospitals and five non-medical agencies across 47 cities where at least one of the two major scooter companies – Lime and Bird – operate.

Of those, 60 responded to their inquiry, and collectively, 23 facilities reported treating 1,545 patients for scooter-related injuries over the past year. The other 37 facilities said they either don’t track scooter injuries, don’t have the capability to do so or had no reports of injuries on file.

Beth Rupp, medical director at the Indiana University Health Center in Bloomington, said they’ve had multiple concussions, nasal fractures and bilateral forearm fractures, adding that some people have even required surgery.

Even more alarming is the fact that outside of Consumer Reports’ tally, there have been four confirmed fatalities related to scooter usage. The most recent occurred this past weekend in Austin, Texas, when a 21-year-old died in a collision with a vehicle.

Lead image courtesy Popovphoto via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

They got nothing on a GoPed.
We got one of those, goes about 25mph (some go near 30MPH) and has a small weed eater type gasoline engine, and real rubber tires.
I took it to school once....5 miles away.
Didn't take that long actually.

Uh, I dont think the scooters have anything to do with user error.

Guns dont kill people, we do
I tend to agree with the exception of the second sentence... This is nothing more than Darwinism. Even a GPS can kill someone if it says to turn when you can't, and you do...

"Guns dont kill people, people do" is just a terrible argument. A scooter or a GPS is not designed to kill. Guns are designed to be a "pull the trigger and kill something" tool. They absolutely kill people, purposeful or accidental, they do.

Would gun owners/supporters agree with something slightly different?
"Rocket launchers don't kill people, people do. Where's my right to a rocket launcher for personal safety?"

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that most gun deaths are a result of "user error"? That's a pretty ridiculous claim.

No, maybe that was a poor comparison. Just trying to say, a scooter itself cant kill you, but your misuse of it can kill you or others.

I tend to agree with the exception of the second sentence... This is nothing more than Darwinism. Even a GPS can kill someone if it says to turn when you can't, and you do...

"Guns dont kill people, people do" is just a terrible argument. A scooter or a GPS is not designed to kill. Guns are designed to be a "pull the trigger and kill something" tool. They absolutely kill people, purposeful or accidental, they do.

Would gun owners/supporters agree with something slightly different?
"Rocket launchers don't kill people, people do. Where's my right to a rocket launcher for personal safety?"

Your right, poor comparison. Just ment to say how you handle any tool can negatively affect a proposed outcome.

My mobile phone caused be to rear end another vehicle. My gun shot a hole through my foot. Fatty food turned me into a bed ridden blob, and alcohol did my liver in. I deserve compensation. The world is so unfair.

Vote Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez 2020

My mobile phone caused be to rear end another vehicle. My gun shot a hole through my foot. Fatty food turned me into a bed ridden blob, and alcohol did my liver in. I deserve compensation. The world is so unfair.

There sure seems to be large numbers of people afraid of this woman.

There sure seems to be large numbers of people afraid of this woman.
I am disappointed that someone took it as anything other than ridicule. My bad.

So, the harelip walks into a bar and orders a drink, "hne bnartender gnive mne a dnrink". The bartender says, "OKnay, onne drnink coming unp". The harelip shoots the bartender a nasty look.

Another guy walks into the bar and says, "hey Joe, gimme a beer". To which the bartender replies, " one draft coming your way".

The harelip calls the bartender over and says, "hnay bnartender anre ynou mnaking fnun of mne".

The bartender replies, "I wnasn't mnaking fnun onf ynou, I wnas mnaking fnun of hnim".

I hope we can all learn from this little allegory :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It might be wise to compare injury rates with cars and bikes over the same usage rate.... Or even walking?

Back