Electrical Interference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genome852

When I play games on this computer, I hear a very faint (although it is louder in WoW than anything else) buzzing noise, which changes tone and/or pitch depending on what is on the screen.

I could only hear the buzzing sound when I used the Razer Barracuda HP-1 headset... as soon as I switched to a cheaper headset, I could no longer hear the sound.

I've been reading around and the problem seems to happen mostly if you use onboard sound... but I have an Audigy 2 Value.

I've tried moving the sound card in different PCI slots, which didn't help at all.

The buzzing sound persists even if all sound is muted. If the computer doesn't even recognize the existence of my sound card, I can still hear the sound.

Any ideas? Could it just be a defective headset? (The LEDs broke on arrival) Or do I need a fancier sound card?

From reading other forums, it may be the headset or your BIOS.

A lot of people report nothing but problems with that headset and static, popping, buzzing, etc., that seems to only go away with a BIOS update or switching to another sound card.

If you have on-board sound, give that a shot and see if it buzzes. If it still does, try and research a new BIOS for your machine and please carefully follow the instructions for flashing it. I don't want you to brick your machine. :)

Let us know how it turns out!

I've never bothered installing the onboard audio seeing as I have an actual sound card... should've thought of that!

I'll install the drivers now and see how it turns out

The problem is still there when using onboard audio.

But how can it be purely a headset problem, if the pitch / tone of the buzzing noise changes depending on what's on the screen?

I don't own that headset myself, just going on what other's have reported on various forums I have been on. A lot of those posts complain about the buzzing and the posters usually end up buying a different headset, which ultimately solves their problem.

Do you have another headset to try? Even if you have, like, a pair of earbuds or something? Just to see if it still buzzes.

Basically, trying to eliminate a hardware problem for you and pin it on poor drivers or something. :)

I don't own that headset myself, just going on what other's have reported on various forums I have been on. A lot of those posts complain about the buzzing and the posters usually end up buying a different headset, which ultimately solves their problem.

Do you have another headset to try? Even if you have, like, a pair of earbuds or something? Just to see if it still buzzes.

Basically, trying to eliminate a hardware problem for you and pin it on poor drivers or something. :)

I can't hear the noise when I use another headset.

But then again... if it is purely a headset problem (I hope it is), how can it respond to different images on the screen?

Argh!

It's just the way it is built is all. Probably not grounded correctly or something else wrong internally.

If you can't hear the buzzing with other headsets, then you probably have a headset problem and not a sound card problem... still got time for an RMA?

feedback from mic? picking up interference with CRT ? is you head phone wire clear of other wires?

too many variables you will need to try some things

It's just the way it is built is all. Probably not grounded correctly or something else wrong internally.

If you can't hear the buzzing with other headsets, then you probably have a headset problem and not a sound card problem... still got time for an RMA?

No time for RMA I think. Bah, I've only had trouble with Razer products....

feedback from mic? picking up interference with CRT ? is you head phone wire clear of other wires?

too many variables you will need to try some things

Not feedback from mic. Completely unplugging it still causes the problem.
I use a LCD monitor.
Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back