Elon Musk announces first human Neuralink implant patient, claims promising results

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Elon Musk has announced that the first human subject has received an implant from his controversial Neuralink company and is recovering well. The CEO claimed that "Initial results show promising neuron spike detection."

Back in May last year, Neuralink, founded by Musk in 2016, was given permission by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to begin its first in-human clinical study, paving the way for a brain-machine interface with the potential to treat fatal neurological diseases, paralysis, blindness, and more. In September, the brain implant company started accepting applications for its first human clinical trial.

Musk announced on X that the first human patient was recovering from an operation in which they received the implant and that there were good results for neuron spike detection, which means the company is getting readings from the patient's brain.

Neuralink's initial goal is to allow people to control a keyboard or cursor just by thinking about it. This is achieved using a brain-computer interface (BCI) implant placed in the section of the brain responsible for the intention to move. The company writes that the N1 implant records neural activity through 1,024 electrodes distributed across 64 highly-flexible, ultra-thin threads.

In a separate post on X, Musk wrote that Neuralink's first product is called Telepathy. It will enable control of a phone or computer, and through them almost any device, just by thinking. Initial users will be those who have lost the use of their limbs. "Imagine if Stephen Hawking could communicate faster than a speed typist or auctioneer. That is the goal," Musk wrote.

Neuralink's Prime Study is a trial for its wireless brain-computer interface to evaluate the safety of the implant and surgical robot.

In 2021, Neuralink released a video of a macaque, which had one of the company's implants in its brain, playing Pong just by thinking about it. As the monkey played, the Neuralink recorded neuron activity. The data was used to determine which regions of the monkey's brain were firing when specific hand actions were carried out. Once the patterns were learned, the joystick was disconnected, but the monkey was still able to control the cursor because it was thinking about the movements.

The experiments on the monkeys have led to accusations of animal abuse against Neuralink, something Musk denies. In February 2023, the company was also accused of violating federal laws relating to the transport of hazardous material, including the flammable liquid Xylene, on multiple occasions.

Permalink to story.

Reading targeted neuron signals from the brain is as far from telepathy as Mars from Earth. Somebody should explain that to Musk. Otherwise, he can insert a bible-reciting implant into his mouth and call it Godhood (or God Mode), at least everyone will know that he's delusional.

Reading targeted neuron signals from the brain is as far from telepathy as Mars from Earth. Somebody should explain that to Musk.
Someone should explain to Vitaly that a trademark is intended simply to identify the product in a memorable manner, and nothing further. Nike shoes were never worn by Greek gods, and Jaguar sports cars aren't really big cats. Honest!

Someone should explain to Vitaly that a trademark is intended simply to identify the product in a memorable manner, and nothing further. Nike shoes were never worn by Greek gods, and Jaguar sports cars aren't really big cats. Honest!
The examples you provided weren't meant to confuse the end user, while the term Telepathy does that, it will make many end users think the contraption actually does read your thoughts, while in fact it does not. That's not trademark, that's purposeful misadvertisement.

The examples you provided weren't meant to confuse the end user, while the term Telepathy does that, it will make many end users think the contraption actually does read your thoughts.
Let's take a poll. Who here actually thinks this new medical device, Telepathy (tm), will actually read anyone's thoughts? Those below 75 IQ, please don't bother responding.

Furthermore, you're ignoring the fact that these devices aren't mail ordered via Amazon for self-install into your cortex. Anyone who gets one receives a great deal of medical counseling, and must sign a multi-page disclosure indicating they've been advised of what exactly the product does and doesn't do. No one is going to be "misled".

Let's take a poll. Who here actually thinks this new medical device, Telepathy (tm), will actually read anyone's thoughts? Those below 80 IQ, please don't bother responding.

Furthermore, Vitaly, you're ignoring the fact that these devices aren't mail ordered via Amazon for self-install into your cortex. Anyone who gets one receives a great deal of medical counseling, and must sign a multi-page disclosure indicating they've been advised of what exactly the product does and doesn't do. No one is going to be "misled".

U genius sound like Steve Jobs from South Park - "Why won't it read?!"

WTF?
Musk announced on X that the first human patient was recovering from an operation in which they received the implant and that there were good results for neuron spike detection, which means the company is getting readings from the patient's brain.
Translation: We didn't kill the patient, so that's a good thing. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I wonder why the God of Mars did not volunteer to be the first recipient of his own implant? There are times when he appears to need more processing power in order to discern when to keep his own mouth shut.

Let's take a poll. Who here actually thinks this new medical device, Telepathy (tm), will actually read anyone's thoughts? Those below 75 IQ, please don't bother responding.

Furthermore, you're ignoring the fact that these devices aren't mail ordered via Amazon for self-install into your cortex. Anyone who gets one receives a great deal of medical counseling, and must sign a multi-page disclosure indicating they've been advised of what exactly the product does and doesn't do. No one is going to be "misled".
If it doesn't read my thoughts so I don't have to interact with it in a traditional manner then I don't want it

I could see it easily doing that if both users had it installed giving access to one's thoughts. Its certainly something that could potentially be.

I dont think though that just getting it installed will let you read everyone's thoughts, thats just dumb.

That would be nice. But knowing Musk, it will be rather: "I don't need sleep and family, holidays are evil, weekends too, I love working at Tesla."

Musk has already stated that when the new tesla comes out he wants folks sleeping on the factory floor to increase productivity.

Musk has already stated that when the new tesla comes out he wants folks sleeping on the factory floor to increase productivity.
I could see it easily doing that if both users had it installed giving access to one's thoughts. Its certainly something that could potentially be.

I dont think though that just getting it installed will let you read everyone's thoughts, thats just dumb.
You know you don't have to double post, right? You can just hit "reply," type your reply to that post and then hit "reply" on the next post you wish to respond to. This works on both desktop and mobile.

You know you don't have to double post, right? You can just hit "reply," type your reply to that post and then hit "reply" on the next post you wish to respond to. This works on both desktop and mobile.
Sorry it bothers you.

Ill keep it in mind for the future.

Sorry it bothers you.

Ill keep it in mind for the future.
It's a minor annoyance but still annoying. I also try to do it because, 1) it makes your posts look cleaner and 2) people take their post counts and their posts-to-likes ratio around here seriously.

H7Vz4bD.jpeg

It's a minor annoyance but still annoying. I also try to do it because, 1) it makes your posts look cleaner and 2) people take their post counts and their posts-to-likes ratio around here seriously.

Gotchya. Honestly its just a habit of responding to each person individually and ending that thought and starting a new one or reading further into the thread. Habbit from my side.

Ill try to use that in the future but I dont really care about likes or post counts.

Either way thanks for the tip.

Back