Elon Musk pledges $1 million to help build museum to honor Nikola Tesla

Shawn Knight

Staff member

elon musk nikola tesla museum tesla supercharger elon must nikola tesla museum

Nikola Tesla, regarded by many as the true Father of Electricity, would have been 158 years old today. His contributions to the field of electricity and science are well-documented and even more than 70 years after his death, he's still a household name that manages to capture headlines.

Today just isn't any old birthday, however.

Nearly two years ago, Matthew Inman of The Oatmeal fame launched an Indiegogo campaign to raise enough money to buy Nikola Tesla's old laboratory and ultimately turn it into a museum. The campaign generated more than $1.3 million - far more than the original $850,000 goal - and a year later, the laboratory was purchased.

Saving a plot of land and an old building is one thing. Building a modern-day museum is an entirely different beast - a beast that will cost around $8 million to realize.

Fast-forward to May 2014. Inman reached out to Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk on Twitter and asked him to help with the project. In a reply the following day, Musk said he would be happy to help but didn't disclose exactly what he had planned - until today.

In a blog post on the matter, Inman said he recently spoke with Musk over the phone. The executive pledged $1 million to help in the development and construction of the museum. Furthermore, Musk also promised to install a Tesla Supercharger in the parking lot of the museum.

Musk's cash doesn't quite get them to the $8 million goal but it's a solid start.

Permalink to story.

Man worth over 8 bil donates one mil to a museum built in honor of someone who clearly inspired him?
Yeah, that's pretty much like spare change to keep his mug in the paper, isn't it?

Did he arrive at the news conference in a flying car?:D

Last edited:
Don't we already have a museum we can dedicate to captaincranky? Currently known as Hugh Hefner's home.
Sounds high maintenance on the curator, if not the exhibits themselves. The cut-price (performance/$ ?) option might be to locate the museum in an economically depressed area ( I.e. Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Baltimore, Somalia) where the necessities of life trump Porsche's, coke, and promises of walk-on parts in Steven Segal movies.
4.jpg

Don't we already have a museum we can dedicate to captaincranky? Currently known as Hugh Hefner's home.
I'll have it moved to St. Petersburg Russia, where all the really cute bunnies are.

For those not faint of heart and well past the age of majority, google "Barbamiska".
(Yeah, that's "Barbie" in Russian, but without any shame, pride, principles, or imhibition). Not to mention the spitting image of Julia Stiles:
url
I guess you'll have to take my word for that....:D

Sounds high maintenance on the curator, if not the exhibits themselves. The cut-price (performance/$ ?) option might be to locate the museum in an economically depressed area ( I.e. Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Baltimore, Somalia) where the necessities of life trump Porsche's, coke, and promises of walk-on parts in Steven Segal movies.
4.jpg
In that case, Camden NJ sounds like it's in the running too. As long as I can get there in my flying car without a midair refueling situation.

I'll have the attic remodeled too. I'll be damned if I'm going up there with the picture of that Dorian Heffner guy.

Last edited:
Man worth over 8 bil donates one mil to a museum built in honor of someone who clearly inspired him?

Are you implying he didn't give enough?
Musk is a business man, not a scientist. I really doubt he was inspired by Nikola Tesla, it's probably just a great logical name for his company. He has money from Paypal, not Tesla. Tesla hasn't turned a profit yet. Being 'worth' 8 billion doesn't mean you can write a check for even 1 billion.

This guy who's building the museum just got 1 million bucks for sending a tweet and following up a phone call! He just won the lottery... You can bet he didn't say anything like.... 'well... you HAVE 8 Billion...'

Are you implying he didn't give enough?
Musk is a business man, not a scientist. I really doubt he was inspired by Nikola Tesla, it's probably just a great logical name for his company. He has money from Paypal, not Tesla. Tesla hasn't turned a profit yet. Being 'worth' 8 billion doesn't mean you can write a check for even 1 billion.

This guy who's building the museum just got 1 million bucks for sending a tweet and following up a phone call! He just won the lottery... You can bet he didn't say anything like.... 'well... you HAVE 8 Billion...'
Im simply implying its odd hes not a little more generous considering the cause. I hardly see how a relatively random scientist's last name is the "ideal" name for an electric car company so I would think thats out of the question..

If it were me in that situation, I probably would have donated 25 mil, not because im saying im more generous than Musk, but because id want to support the cause because tesla was awesome and there is a lot to be learned from such a museum.

Musk might not be some official, degree-d scientist, and he is a businessman, but ill be damned if he doesn't love science.

Last edited:
That is what happens when you have an abnormal ammount of money.

Stay tuned, I'm thinking the next headline will be:
Elon Musk pledges $8 billion to help build museum to honor Elon Musk
That headline will come eventually. It is just a matter of time.

Back