Epic Games sues alleged Fortnite cheaters for copyright infringement

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Epic Games last week took a firm stance against Fortnite cheaters, banning thousands and promising to “do more” to curb the issue.

This week, the developer and publisher proved that it wasn’t simply making idle threats by filing lawsuits against two alleged prolific cheaters.

As Polygon highlights, the pair of suits were filed in North Carolina and name Brandon Broom and Charles Vraspir as defendants. Both are reportedly associated with Addicted Cheats, a subscription-based cheating service.

Epic filed suit on the grounds of copyright infringement and breach of contract. According to Polygon, each instance of copyright infringement carries a maximum penalty of up to $150,000.

Epic says in its complaints that nobody likes a cheater and nobody likes playing with cheaters. The defendants use cheats in a deliberate attempt to destroy the integrity of, and otherwise wreak havoc in, the game. The company further claims that these actions ruin the game for other players and people that watch livestreams.

It’s not just a false threat, either. Companies like Blizzard have found success using copyright infringement as the basis for litigation. A recent case against Bossland GmbH, for example, resulted in damages totaling $8.6 million courtesy of 42,818 instances of copyright infringement.

Polygon reached Vraspir at this place of employment but he refused to comment on the matter per his attorney’s advice. Broom wasn’t available for comment.

Epic’s new battle royale game ran afoul with PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds developer Bluehole last month over claims that it was too similar to its own game.

Permalink to story.

Uh...whut?

The only way that infringement could be a legitimate basis for a suit against cheaters would be if these guys had obtained Epic's source code to help build their cheats or were profiting from streaming their cheat sessions w/o permission. Wouldn't it make more sense to sue them for violating the ToS which almost certainly includes a "will not cheat" agreement??

Uh...whut?

The only way that infringement could be a legitimate basis for a suit against cheaters would be if these guys had obtained Epic's source code to help build their cheats or were profiting from streaming their cheat sessions w/o permission. Wouldn't it make more sense to sue them for violating the ToS which almost certainly includes a "will not cheat" agreement??

Copyright infringement isn't such a narrow violation. I assume the lawsuit will finger them for distribution (of the cheating code) and misuse of the license.

I like the "no one likes a cheater".... Of course, the real message is, "no one likes a cheater if they can't cheat themselves"

The poof is the thousands of people subscribing to the cheating service....

...why not structure a 'playpen' for cheaters?

In that case, an agreement to flag cheating code would allow cheaters to happily spend money in the manner they choose. Perhaps, it could be licensed to the cheat code makers. Like triples tennis, it might catch on.

...why not structure a 'playpen' for cheaters?

In that case, an agreement to flag cheating code would allow cheaters to happily spend money in the manner they choose. Perhaps, it could be licensed to the cheat code makers. Like triples tennis, it might catch on.

Or better yet, when a cheater signs on he gets put into a visual playpen so everyone can see him, but he can't get out and play ..... ohhhhhhhhhhhh .... I like it!

I really can't believe that game developers can't out smart cheats from a coding perspective. Don't they have really smart people working for them?

I really can't believe that game developers can't out smart cheats from a coding perspective. Don't they have really smart people working for them?
You don't seem to understand just how much some coders will create cheats just because developers will put in anti-cheating code. They do it because they are told they can't or just to see if they can and they are also as smart or smarter than the company coders.

You don't seem to understand just how much some coders will create cheats just because developers will put in anti-cheating code. They do it because they are told they can't or just to see if they can and they are also as smart or smarter than the company coders.

I know these people are rebels who don't like rules and have nothing better to do than create havoc. They really could use their skills and talent to do positive things and better the world but instead choose to be losers and create tools for other losers to continue their pathetic life styles. I honestly think they have real smart people at game and software companies that can prevent these things. Holes and vulnerabilities in software are intentionally created.

I wish I was a capable hacker. I would hack and shut down that stupid Addicted Cheats website and all like it. Can't believe those openly exist and no one can do anything about it. I play online shooters a lot and there is nothing more I hate than a skilless cheater. I wish there was something like an anti-cheat hack where your cheat can automatically kill a cheater that tries to kill you.

There's no copyright infringement on this lawsuit! EG should reasses their understanding of what DMCA really is about.

Back