Error code 1000-0148 CD-ROM drive (Dell Latitude D520)

terry5880

my laptop is a dell latitude/D520 PP17L
IT SHOWS UP ERROR CODE 1000-0148 UNIT 2 OPTICAL DRIVE BISTOPU TEST FAILD.thats all it says and i'm running windows 7 please can anyone help on what to do .also it plays dvds but no other discs i looked on dell site for code and it says take drive out then put back in and it shuld work but would like help from here before i touch it as this site and the people here have always been 100% spot on .. thanks

Have you tried removing, then re-inserting it?

The drive will also have the information you need to replace it. The fact its reading DVD's might suggest its not terminal.

What operating system are you using?

its win 7 its at my brothers house at mo got to go get it tomorrow but yea gonna try take it out and put back in first

Sorry, you said you were running W7.

Aye, I'd do the same thing. Get some compressed air and blast the two connectors, it could be dust build up. Its also possible the drive is on its way to dying, but worth checking first.

i will try that just weird how plays dvds but no other cd etc will use compressed air but its a slide in out drive so dont really wanting to be opening up laptop lol

A quick blast will dislodge any dust anyway, so you shouldn't need to worry about doing any stripping.

thank you mate and if needs replacing do i need to buy a dvd +rw x8 as thats whats in it i think and do i need to mention IDE ?

Well you'd likely be replacing like for like, matching the Dell part number so it shouldn't be an issue - but it wouldn't hurt.

ok thanks for your help . also i will be putting up a thread for people to rate my pc build i built my own pc from scratch with only the hard drive and dvd cd drives from old one all the rest i bought of ebay and installed where would i find all the information to put on here is it system information lol as you can see i can build one just not so expert on where to find stuff and what certain things mean yet

Back