Error code - possible driver issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all :)

I've been having lots of problems connecting to the internet recently. the network is connected but the packets received count is low low and i can't browse web pages. I have ruled out a mechanical error. a different computer works ok when connected via the same cable.

I have tried running Microsoft's network diagnostics tool which i downloaded off the net but it always crashes half way thru. I noticed the blue warning screen mentions the driver (in that split second that it's actually visible, just before it restarts the system :rolleyes:) so i decided to update the driver (intel pro/100 VE).

after updating, there's been no change. the tool still crashes with this error

BCCode : 1000007f BCP1 : 00000008 BCP2 : 80042000 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

what can be done? i had this issue once or twice before (weak connection) but it just repaired itself on its own. oh yes, hitting repair connection doesnt help as well.

thanks a lot in advance, it's driving me mad :mad:

See if you can zip up a few minidumps from C:/Windows/minidump and attach them to this thread so we can see what's going on.

hi fastco, thanks for the reply.

here are the requested minidumps. i should add that i havent been experiencing crashes lately but my internet connection is still buggered and i cant seem to get to the bottom of the problem.

Hi, One cause of the crash is PCC_PFW.sys see these instructions;
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=812512

Three other minidumps show Hardware as the cause of the crash. It could be anything but I would start with swapping out memory modules, removing anything not neccessary to boot the computer, then replace one device at a time until you get a crash.

thanks.

im a bit puzzled by this as ive had pc-cillin on my laptop ever since i got it and it never caused problems.

regarding hardware, im afraid i cant go fiddling with it as it's a laptop and i wouldnt know where to begin.

any ideas on the internet connectivity issue perhaps?

Have you checked your computer for spyware? Download Adaware for free, install and update it and see if you system has any critical issues. Run HijackThis also and post a Log as an attachment if you want us to look at it. Also try a registry tweak form here http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
for you internet problem, but also download the program near the bottom that restores the registry if the tweak doesn't work..
Adaware http://www.download.com/3405-8022-5153545.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

I dont think it's a spyware issue - im running ewido and adaware regularly, both come back clean. same applies to a virus scan.

Uppdate: i have managed to resolve the connectivitiy problem by repairing the winsock registry entries with a smart little utility tool called WinsockXpfix.

thanks for all your help fastco. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back