Everyone randomly disconnects from Internet

Hey all, First time poster on these forums. I was hoping to get new insight as to what might be causing the issues I'm having.

About a couple weeks ago I started to experience some internet troubles. It would be every 10 minutes, or every couple hours but I would get disconnect from the internet.

To start with the tray icon, it would mostly show the triangle over the symbol when this happens, yet sometimes it would say it was connected perfectly fine. In both circumstances, during these periods it would not be able to connect to the internet.

On my network, maximum of three of us, I am the only one that is hardwired in to the router with an Ethernet cord. The other two are wireless. We had gotten a new router from Bright House, a Ubee modem/router, and were not satisfied at all when this started happening. We purchased a new router to get gigabit Ethernet ports, and to give us 5GHZ wireless channels. After installing the new router, and setting the UBEE to bridge mode, the problem persisted. When the UBEE is in bridge mode though, and I connect directly to the modem I haven't noticed the problem. Although I have never been directly connected to the modem for any extended period of time.

I have seriously tried every solution that threads have offered saying that it may be a windows 7 problem, and none seemed to do the trick. So I am finally trying to reach out to you guys to hopefully receive some help. I have tried calling Bright House and they sent test signals and they say that the connection is fine.

We noticed that when we disconnected our house phone, the problem seemed to stop happening. But now after it has been disconnected from the modem for a week or more the problem returned. Resetting the router and modem together seems to grant us at least a day of uninterrupted access and sometimes more.

After I bridged the UBEE, I did change some settings. I disabled the firewall and set a DMZ to my router to allow all access through to it.

What should I do next to address this issue?

Thank you all in advance,

NickkyCubba

The problem lies somewhere in between your ISP and PCs.

Is this how your routers are connected?
ISP ----- Ubee wireless modem/router (bridge mode) ---- 2nd wireless router

Make sure you only have one dhcp server and the routers are not operating in the same channel. You can disable the firewall of your 2nd wireless router keep the firewall on on your modem/router. You dont need to use DMZ unless you are hosting some service to be accessed through the internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_(computing)

We noticed that when we disconnected our house phone, the problem seemed to stop happening
That strongly indicates that you either
a) don't have the DSL line filter installed on every phone OR
b) one or more of them are defective

We don't have a filter but it is unnecessary now because we have the phones disconnected from the router and the problem still persists. And with the firewall on the modem/router and the DMZ off the issue still stands.

Yes that is the configuration of my set-up though.

Error Codes in my Modem

Hey all, here is an update that will hopefully maybe get me some help. I checked the logs in my modem and this is what is coming up.

From the past week:

Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID
Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported.
Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Error (4) DHCP RENEW sent - Invalid DHCP option

Do these look like something from my end, or my ISP? I've tried to contact them multiple times and they haven't been able to get me a solution to my problems.

Starting with DOCSIS 3.0, modems "range" (tune in) to different frequencies when more bandwidth is detected. This drop is caused by faulty / incomplete "ranging" attempts. Basically, get a hold of an Engineer somehow - going through tech support will do the trick, and ask them to essentially "lock the modem into one frequency".

Edit: Make sure your signal remains okay during these drops by navigating to http://192.168.100.1; If it does, the ranging is your issue. It's brought on by a high-level infrastructure change to help deal with load spikes throughout the ISP's network but can sometimes backfire at the individual user level.

P.S. Google Fiber isn't that far off!

Back